Approx value of a few skillets

JeffreyL

I know these skillets are not big collector pieces, or probably very valuable, but being a newbie to CI I been reading and checking a lot of stuff out and so now I'm curious. Here's the few I'm curious about, not looking for exact numbers, just a reasonable avg one would expect to pay for a pan in described condition.

1. Unmarked Wagner #8 "made in the USA" sits flat, no wobble, no pits, letter "G" cast underneath made in USA

2. Unmarked BSR #7 "made in the USA", sits flat no wobble no pits

3. Unmarked BSR #5"made in the USA", sits flat no wobble no pits

All 3 have nice smooth surfaces, no gouges, seasoned well and actively in use

4. Wagner Ware -O- #8 1058 I, no pits, spins, center slightly bowed down, smooth surface

There are, IMO, basically three prices, lowest to highest: what I'd like to pay, the most I would pay, and what eBay sellers think they're worth. The unmarkeds, I'd like to pay about $10 on average, the most $15, and I wouldn't look for them on eBay at all. The marked Wagner #8, if it didn't spin, at the most $25, but less would be, of course, better.

Thank you! Are unmarked skillets generally lower value across the board? Or is it the made in the USA version. I read something I found very interesting in the fact that made in USA skillets are actually the least desirable

Unmarkeds marked "Made In USA" are later than those that are not (generally speaking). Along with that goes an increased probability that the pan will have been produced by automated molding processes, meaning thicker, heavier, small pour spouts, lower finish quality, and cooking surfaces will not have been polish ground.

I have a shallow skillet marked made in USA and is a unmarked Wagner that the neighbor gave me, I was happy to receive it and for now it's a user and a place holder till I find the one I'm looking for. It's about a size 10 and smooth finished surface. But when I'm looking to buy I look for the older types.

If you choose to be a collector It's like anything else collectible, condition is everything. The resale is faster and higher. But don't pass up a early No name Red mountain pans they make excellent users.

Steve,

"Made in USA" wasn't really necessary to point out in the early days, because they pretty much all were. In the middle of the century, there started to be an influx of cheap cast iron from Asia and as they gained market ground, American manufacturers began including "Made in USA" markings as a marketing differentiator.

For BSR specifically, they started adding "Made in USA" in 1967, after the conversion to automation.

thanks for the info guys. i didnt figure we had anything worth a lot, but as a newbie to this I was curious as to what we had so i was checking everything. Now I just need to contact my sister and have her get me the info from my grandmothers DO she inherited.

I probably wont get real big into the collective side, Im more interested in the user side, however im a hobbyist so the search and reconditioning of the pieces is the fun part for me, i like the connection to the old days when quality products were made and used, and simpler was better.

Back