Help ID a Small Pot

BrianChatham

Hello,

This little pot is a flea market find here in Birmingham, Alabama. It is marked on the bottom "L-0307-A", but that is all..

It is very heavy duty - thick sides and thick wire handle. It has two pouring spouts, but one has been broken off.

Its so hardy, I'm wondering if it was used in manufacturing and not for home use. Birmingham is an old iron/steel town, after all.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo Nov 10, 12 08 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 10, 12 08 06 PM.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Photo Nov 10, 12 08 24 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 10, 12 08 24 PM.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo Nov 10, 12 07 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 10, 12 07 39 PM.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 37
Larger than a patty mould pot which is what it looks like at first glance. The marking on the bottom certainly says not all that old.

Given the thickness of the casting and the heavy duty extra long handle I'd say that's a smelting pot. I have one very similar made by Chicago Specialty Manufacturing Corp. I'll never cook with mine since it's intended purpose was to melt lead. I'm tempted to see if I can get a fire hot enough to melt aluminum with it though.

Ty, I agree with the smelting pot. The spout was probably broken off with a large pair of tongs during pouring. It is amazing how much heat one can get out of charcoal briquets and a hand held hair dryer.

Hilditch

I've always wondered why those old smelting pots didn't come with a pour assist such as what's often seen on 3 legged kettles and Dutch ovens. I don't care how good my gloves appear to be, I'd rather not find out they can't handle molten lead the hard way.

Hilditch, I was thinking the same thing about the hair dryer.

Back