Picture from estate sale ... worth driving over there?

SpurgeonH

I downloaded an app that shows estate sales. Each sale always includes pictures of the items around the house that are for sale. I tried it out last week and was disappointed. One of the pictures had shown a couple of skillets. Turns out, it was the second weekend they had been trying to sell their stuff. The skillets were long gone.

Anyway, here is a picture from one near my house. I think tomorrow is the first day of the sale. In the picture of the kitchen, you can see a large-ish skillet on the stove (with an enameled skillet sitting in it.) The pour spouts look kind of large. It's definitely not a modern Lodge. Looks like there also might be a small skillet sitting in the background.

I know it's tough to make an ID from this picture, but ... anybody think it's worth a 20 to 30 minute drive? I'd be really irritated to drive over there and the skillets not be there, or the asking price was high.

https://imgur.com/a/br1gV

I have gone to estate sales here in the desert southwest before the starting time only to find a long line of people already waiting for a number for their chance to view the items for sale.

If you don't want to be disappointed, don't go. However you might be missing a great deal. Sometimes you find a great deal on something completely different than you were going for. Often it is a waste of time. Some people just enjoy looking.

Do you feel lucky?

Spurgeon
For some of us it it is a 20 - 30 minute drive to the grocery store. If you love this hobby, yes, its worth the drive. You might get lucky. Ever buy a lotto ticket?
Ya never know

I wish you the best

Jack

I can't decide. I'll see how my morning is going (got a lot of follow up phone calls and paperwork to get done tomorrow ... also hoping to drive up to Elijay to see a customer, but she can't confirm until in the morning)

I was going to ask if this was your first estate sale but I see where you said you went to one last week and were disappointed. I don't think any of us (CI collectors) can say that we weren't disappointed at some point and time during our quest for an item that we hoped was worth the trip.
Just today I drove 1 1/2 hours to purchase a Griswold "Hammered" DO only to find there was a hairline crack near one of the tabs. I know the seller which is very honest and I am sure he had never noticed it. I left a note at the store for them to give to him and I am positive he will either remove the item or reduce it with notation that it is cracked.
I am guessing the skillet is post 1960 and probably a unmarked WW # 8 from judging the size according to the stove grate it's setting on. If you go look let us know and besides what's 20 minutes should it turn out to be a diamond?

When my SO’s mother died we hired a pro to do the estate sale 500 miles away. Not only did she clean out the house completely, she sold the house FSBO too at the price we wanted two months before the crash. The sale started on Friday. The Wednesday before she had First Pick Day for every dealer, friend, and business contact she had made in her 25 years of experience in central Florida. A lot went that day. She bragged about getting $400 for a glass punch bowl from a dealer. It must have been worth over a grand.

If you go to an estate sale just remember you are not the first one in the door. Diamonds can be hard to find.

Hilditch

Rats!!!!!!!!!! The skillets are a #8 Wagner Sidney O for $15 a Wager pie logo #3 for $10 .... both of which are huge spinners. Ugh!!!!

The enameled one is a LeCreuset. It looks brand new ... $20. But I don't collect that kind.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

But I just bought a fancy TV. The projection bulb in mine broke a couple of weeks ago. It was going to cost $100 to replace it.(that's with me doing it myself) . The TV was $175. ... so it is really only costing me $75, right? Ha!

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

BTW - before I left I went back and looked at the skillets again. I was thinking the #8 might be a good wall hanger. That's when I noticed a crack in the #3 pie logo that I didn't see when I looked at it the first time. Then, after my tv was loaded up and I was pulling away, I saw a lady walking out with all three pans. I started to stop and make sure she realized what she had bought, but decided against it. As the sign said, all sales are final ... and she had already bought it at that point.

It's the EstateSales.net app. I saw one this week, very close to my house, where the guy had a basement full of woodworking tools. (And some CI). I wanted to go so bad! ... but it started this morning and I had a full day of sales calls booked before I saw it.

Back