What's the Point?

CJ Lucas

I've been "into" cast iron for a couple of years, but it seems that the only thing most people "collect" is Wagner or Griswold frying pans and dutch ovens. You can go on ebay on any given day and there are enough of these pieces to give one to every household in America - not what I would call "collectible" by any stretch of the imagination. What's the point of "collecting" something that is so very common? To me, "collectible" means something that is hard to find and not everyone has.

CJ, you are applying YOUR definition, not Webster's, to collecting. Try telling that to a guy with 2,000 CI skillets or a butterfly collector.

Although I don't see myself as a collector, I sure am accumulating a hell of a lot of cast iron with no name preference.

Hilditch

I've been "into" cast iron for a couple of years, but it seems that the only thing most people "collect" is Wagner or Griswold frying pans and dutch ovens. You can go on ebay on any given day and there are enough of these pieces to give one to every household in America - not what I would call "collectible" by any stretch of the imagination. What's the point of "collecting" something that is so very common? To me, "collectible" means something that is hard to find and not everyone has.

I do like my Griswold slant logo and fully marked skillets and DO as my users, but my early pieces are my collection. More bottom gated than not. :eek:

I searched Griswold cast iron on ebay and found 1987 pieces. I also searched the US population and came up with 322,762,018. That is not even close to one for everybody even if you include the 1020 Wagner Wares. I can't speak for others but my reason for collecting cast iron is to rescue, restore and re-home perfectly fine cookware that people can enjoy. In the process I end up with some very rare pieces that I treasure. I'm sending these off to new homes.
http://i.imgur.com/EO2mhdM.jpg

Last edited:
I had to go back and read CJ's previous post to see if he was just jerking our chain or what.
I "think" what he is asking is why so many of the Griswold's & Wagner's are listed on e-Bay and advertised as vintage/collectable as compared to other pieces of cast iron. To me it comes down to profit making. We as Americans are Capitalist at heart and we try and buy at a low cost and sale at a high one.
Even at the time of Griswold's Mfg. process he wanted to make the best quality product at the cheapest price and sale for a profit. Same with Wagner. Most other foundry's were localized and therefore serviced their customers as required. These guys, along with Lodge saw the opportunity to go national which gave them a broader sales base thus the rest is history. E-Bayer's have taken that same concept and price these pieces higher because of the markup.
It's up to us as buyers/collectors to choose from those offerings to enhance our "collections" or as Bonnie stated to restore and pass on to those wanting a home for them. Many other foundries made special pieces and from time to time you will see one pop up on e-bay or the like. That sale is a one time sale where as the Gris. & Wags. are a steady source of income for a longer period of time.
Hope my guess was right...If not I've made a fool of myself again.

In my opinion, what makes Griswold so collectible are the many documented variations of the logo: small, medium, Large block/smooth bottom, large block heat ring EPU, Large block/ heat ring / slant EPU, Large block/slant/ERIE only, 6 series of ERIE, and so on. Within these logos are the different sizes that vary slightly in each series, and the different time periods of each. Collectors, whether it be coins, stamps, crocks, or whatever, are often working toward completing "sets" of the things they collect. Griswold lends itself perfectly to this type of obsession. Yes, I'm guilty myself :D

To me, the "thing" about Erie and Griswold marked pieces, besides the many variations, is that they are premium cast iron! They have survived many a disaster and are still useful. You can't say that for much of anything anymore!

It is only my own opinion but I do not think everything collectible needs to be about money or monetary value. Our country is young (America) and we have the gift of still being able to touch things from our beginning and of our growth. Griswold and Wagner, even Lodge, as I understand it had expanded and exported to the point that they were more easily accessable universally in a time when other foundries were more localized. This meant that it may have been a lot more common to own one of these names at the time. To me this means that they were brands which saw and survived personal histories we can only imagine and ones that saw our country evolve. They marched in our civil war, crossed the open prairies, saw the industrial revolution, rode along the rails as our trains thundered towards each other and the first cross continental railroad, fed our people through the Great Depression and two world wars. Having been larger foundries (or at least getting their product out to everywhere with good iron to last) they have been able to survive in numbers that let many of us touch and be a part of history today. For me a Griswold or Wagner or Lodge is priceless not for money or it's rarity but for what it represents. That is what I see as collectible.

I think a lot of people when they collect cookware, would like to eventually work there way up to a matched set. I think Griswold is popular because it looks very nice, is high quality and with a little work you could also find the pieces you need.

Wagner can be close in quality, and is a little easier to find.

These qualities helps make these brands very popular with buyers. Plus I think few people are even aware of the other brands, so there not collected as often.

I took the easiest way out and went lodge for my own users.

I don't consider myself a collector. I was raised up eating out of CI skillets, and when I got my own place I Naturally wanted to have some as well.

The thing that brought me to the forums is I was given a Griswold DO, and old Kettle, and a 20inch skillet a few weeks ago and i wanted to find out a little about them.

All I had ever known about before I got those pieces was Lodge, but I only live about an hour away from the factory.

Back