Griswold Waffle Irons & Bases

Jeffrey R.

So I run into enough waffle irons without any bases and not as much the other way round. I am sure a few of you see this also, so this should you also. Due to this reason I do not purchase them, but think at times that I should in the hopes that I will find a base. I just do not want to be stuck with a bunch of irons and the wrong or better yet no bases. It is always to purchase a complete set in the wild fresh from an estate, chances are they are a match. This is where my issue is. What base goes with what set of irons.

So two years ago I picked a nice set of Griswold American No. 8 #312 - 313, with the leveling pin. Time to make a set for someone, but not sure what base was original sold with this set.

The 312 - 313 irons are very similar to 314 - 315 if you have the blue book
(pg. 90).

Where O where do we find this information.

I would like to save the other waffle irons if I know what base to look for. A lot of times they go for next to nothing due to having no base.

The 312/313 and 314/315 paddle sets are both size #8 and have leveling pins at the 8 o'clock/4 o'clock positions. Both have patent date December 1, 1908 which refers to John C. Hollands' air-cooled handle socket design. Hollands was responsible for a number of Griswold patents, however, this one does not appear to have been assigned to them. Side by side, the paddle sets appear identical other than the pattern numbers. There may be minor differences which might prevent paddles from being interchanged between the mated pairs, but any base referenced for the 314/315 set in the chart on the page below should work for the 312/313.

http://www.castironcollector.com/waffle.php

Thank you Doug. I was thinking that the same base for the 314 - 315 would work, but want to make sure.

? When Griswold was selling these could a person pick what base that they wanted with a set of irons? Most of the irons on your list have 4 different bases.

? My waffle irons 312 - 313 are not on your list. I also see that paddles 976 - 977 are not on the list also. Are both of these not common so they did not make the list, and are there any others that are not listed?
Looking for a comprehensive list of all the paddles and bases.

The base for paddles 976 - 977 is 975 That is the set that I put on the forum sometime back on 2/2016
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Lf4x9se3zA/s720-Ic42/gris%252Cwaffle_9382.jpg

The pattern number table is from a 1926 Griswold waffle iron pamphlet. Catalogs noted bailed rings (high and low versions) were shipped by default unless the dealer order specified the handled versions. Extra pans and rings could be ordered separately.

Back