Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Recipe File

Notices

Recipe File Share Your Favorite Cast Iron and Other Recipes

Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
The pressure cooker technique is a good way to reduce the time to hydrate the beans. I also happen to prefer cooking the recipe for at least 8 Hrs. I believe that this this allows the flavors to develop more fully. I have used the bean water in the past for liquid, but I believe that the veg broth adds more flavor.

Just my $0.02
Vegetable broth = sodium / salt We do not have salt on our table only sea salt for a little cooking.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...m/art-20045479

While the beans are in the pressure cooker I put all the remaining ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat them to dissolve the sugar, molasses etc That is my jump start on flavor town.

OK, you made me spill all my beans (tricks).
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM

I make a pineapple sugar ham once in a while, and always do a dutch of beans with it. The juice from the ham poured into white beans with bacon is amazing.

Boil a regular smoked ham leg in 50/50 7-up or sprite and apple juice for an hour. Remove ham and prep to dress it. Poke shallow holes all over the ham and insert whole cloves every square inch or so. Lay pineapple rings all over the ham, use toothpicks to hold them in place. Mix the leftover pineapple juice from the can with brown sugar, and baste the ham. Into the oven at 300 for several hours, keep basting the ham periodically.

Basic great northern white beans with bacon, simmer them in the oven for a bit and add the juice from the ham as they dry out and let them brown naturally, don't need molasses. The combination of sugars, smoke from the ham, the cloves, the pineapple juice makes them lovely.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
Vegetable broth = sodium / salt We do not have salt on our table only sea salt for a little cooking.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...m/art-20045479

While the beans are in the pressure cooker I put all the remaining ingredients in a pot on the stove and heat them to dissolve the sugar, molasses etc That is my jump start on flavor town.

OK, you made me spill all my beans (tricks).

The veg broth that I make has very little salt in it. A little salt (per the recipe) does help the beans to be tender.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:35 PM

2 tsp salt per your recipe + veg broth (little salt) + tomato paste (little salt) + 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (little salt) + 3 Lbs bacon (little to much salt for me)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:01 AM

I'm sure that it is the bacon that contributes the most salt. But it's bacon, I can forgive it that. Bacon is at the top of the food groups IMHO
Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that it is the bacon that contributes the most salt. But it's bacon, I can forgive it that. Bacon is at the top of the food groups IMHO

You can have it your way, that is fine.

But here this, 10 years ago I was taking meds for some health issues. 10 years ago was also the last time that I needed to take any meds. Kick the salt while you have a choice. Salt or meds, just saying. It worked for me.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Glad to hear that it worked for you. Health is ones greatest asset. That being said, you'll have to pry my bacon out of my cold dead hands.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear that it worked for you. Health is ones greatest asset. That being said, you'll have to pry my bacon out of my cold dead hands.
Funny thing, that is just what I told my Doctor. He told me that Moderation was the answer.