Electro cleaning a galvanized tea kettle

James M

Just a question of electro cleaning of a galvanized tea kettle I picked up. The inside of the kettle has rust, as well as the bottom of the kettle. Was not sure if I put in my electro tank if it will remove the galvanized coating or not?

Re you sure it is galvanized and not aluminum. Does a magnet stick to it?

If you want to use electrolysis why not just put the electrolyte in the kettle and suspend the electrode inside it. Black to the kettle and red to the electrode.

Good luck

Jack

I suspect if it was aluminum it wouldn’t have any rust. A galvanized coating would be unique. If it is well attached chrome or nickel it should be fine but I don’t know about galvanized pieces. My “Now What?” pot posted under General Cast Iron had an unknown coating that was not effected by e-tank cleaning or lye. I'd give it a try & watch.

Hilditch

Isn't "galvanized" material poison if heated ,just asking ,and at what point

Working as a safety coordinator in the construction industry I can tell you that galvanized metals do give off toxic fumes when welding or arc gouging.

It's my understanding that these fumes are not a gas or vapor, but rather a very fine particulate that is created when the metal is destroyed at high heat. While it is hazardous to inhale, a basic dust mask (in theory) would be enough to fully protect the worker.

As long as you aren't destroying it with heat, no toxin is released. Cooking/electrolysis should be fine.

The material is zinc. I myself would avoid using for cooking, frying,etc.
Full respiration gear is strongly suggested. A dust mask might handle grinding but not heating the material. Frankly high speed grinding would heat the material and produce vapor.

The material is zinc. I myself would avoid using for cooking, frying,etc.

Full respiration gear is strongly suggested. A dust mask might handle grinding but not heating the material. Frankly high speed grinding would heat the material and produce vapor.

That's why I said "(in theory)". The failing in the dust mask is in the seal, not the mask itself. Even a 2097 filter designed for hex chrome and zinc, which we require at our site, is still only a particulate filter. The hazardous fume produced is a tiny solid, not a gas.

J Moss and W.Hilditch....Thank you for the advise. The tea pot is coming along, I am pleased so far with the results but have a little more work to do on the inside. James M

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 39
Sure kept that one a secret James...Spider logo by Griswold. How does the bottom look? Can you send pictures of the bottom too?
Nice piece and glad you shared with us.

Back