What metal does lye eat?

MEValery

I thought I was being smart. I have an exhaust fan above an indoor grill. The grease filters (3 of them), get very dirty. In the past I take them outside, place them on some cardboard, and spray over and over with a degreaser. Then I rinse with a garden hose.
So I had a great idea, why not place 2 of the small ones in my lye tank on the top so they don't get smashed. I though they were made out of aluminum.
One day later, one disappeared completely. I could find about 90% of the frame of the other and about 10% of the filter. The rest was dissolved.

I thought aluminum was safe in a lye bath. Any guesses?

Thanks,
Mark

Lye eats aluminum but I am guessing you know that now.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

It also eats chrome and copper.

Now that you mention it, I remember. It was a special version of easy off (not lye) that I could use on aluminum.

Now to replace a special size aluminum grease filter on a 23 year old exhaust fan. I wish I had taken metal shop in school now. Print and plastic shop haven't really helped me so far.

MEValery,
Lye also etched enamel.

FYI - check with your local appliance repair shop for replacement filters.

Good luck
Jack

If you read the C.I.C restoration page using lye you would have came across the paragraph where it says the Lye will dissolve cast aluminum or for that matter most any aluminum.
Lye should not be used to clean enameled cast iron pieces; it will dull the finish. Lye can safely be used to clean nickel or chrome plated pieces. Lye should not be used to clean cast aluminum ware as it will dissolve it.

I have a question about the Chrome. I know it cleans Griswold chrome well but I put a Detroit Chrome skillet in my lye tank and it turned it all cloudy. Are there different kinds of chrome or do you have to do something else after you soak it in the lye like buffing or polishing? Parts of it were shiny chrome when I put it in the tank but now it is completely a matte finish?

Last edited:
Bonnie,

You might try a rubbing compound such as is used in the automotive world.
It worked well for me

if your having a hard time finding replacement filters. i have good luck with the web site partstore.com

Thanks for the link for parts.

In response to a previous poster, I did read this web site on cleaning. Recall is my problem. I had merged what I read here with the use of a different blend of easy off (for aluminum).

Back