Griswold Gold Mine

MDFraley

Been a week since we took a mini vacation thru New Mexico and Colorado and found a cache of Griswold BIG pieces. These were in my opinion a find of a lifetime. #20 Griswold skillet p/n 728 EPU, bailed handle skillet p/n 694 EPU and a #14 bailed griddle p/n 618 EPU.
These were all acquired from one dealer and she had a lot more HTF pieces but to me these were the cream of the crop.
https://imgur.com/a/ILZIxDZ

Nope. Cortez, Colorado. If you take the road thru the San Juan mountains it's a beautiful drive but not so many shops to pic from. Local shops mostly deal with tourist things.

I love it through there. Beautiful. We’re her prices reasonable? I know it can be a bit touristy. I have never seen her shop though. It has been a while since I have been that way though.

She was a bit pricy but considering that I would never find these anyplace else in the wild I bit the bullet and brought them back with us. She had two G.F. Filly gem pans that were underpriced which we did get also and a Griswold Hotel/Restaurant Gas Stove p/n 2230 fully marked close to the BB price P.172. All in all we dropped close to $5k for everything but not regretful for any of our purchases.

Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like you got some great pieces! So happy for you. My brother lives in Durango so next time I visit I am taking a trip to Cortez!

Now THAT is a find for sure! I have never even heard of a bailed skillet....those are all beauties!

The bailed skillet is shown on P.27 of the BB. All the pictured pieces still need our mandatory cleaning process and then seasoned but we expect no issues except hope the oven will accommodate them lol.

I attended this auction today (they had online bidding, so you can scroll through and check the prices)... they sold at least one griswold #20... think it went for about $750... also sold a #1 (marked with the pattern# 411) for a bit over $3k... and a #19 heart and star waffle iron went for stoopid money... but there were a lot of pieces that went for reasonable prices... I got a griswold #140 turks head pan for $85... and a #11 french roll pan for $15...

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/Cast-Iron-Auction_3S0VYTZKNF/

yeah I'd say that bailed 14 is a pretty rare item.. that's one that I've only ever seen pictures of.

Thanks. I may have a shot at a Griswold #1, p/n 411 myself. There are two twin brothers less than a mile from where I live here in Humboldt, Az. well into their late 70's that claim they have one so I'm going to check it out soon. Maybe that will be my next post assuming (a) they actually have one and (b) it's affordable.

Back