finds in Clyde OH

MCarson

I was driving down route 20 on my way through town and found an antique shop.
I came across these finds

Skillet - #9 marked with an XO at top and SW at bottom. Heat ring with notch at 12, 3, and 9 o'clock. I'm really not sure what this is. Thinking a Lodge. Any ideas?
Also found a Wagner waffle iron with stand.
Skillet was $8 and waffle iron was $65. I bought the skillet but not the waffle iron.

I've seen what appear to be late 1950s-early 1960s Lodge skillets with a bunch of 1/2" high incised letters at 6 o'clock, but can't say for sure why. Are the letters on yours raised or incised? If the WI was intact (bases often have chunks missing) and the handles were in good shape, $65 doesn't sound all that bad.

The numbers and letters are etched into it. I didn’t take a close look at the base.
I've been looking for a skillet for my brother. Thought someone might like the WI.

Skillet is definitely Lodge, from a good period in their production, and a not-often-seen #9, too. I assume the inside is very smooth?

I would have had to have that waffle iron. No doubt.

a bit of surface rust, but looks nice and smooth, no pitting, cracks, etc. I'll have pick up some oven cleaner and see what it becomes.

I drive past this antique place every week...if do some "personal shopping" for you if you like. :-D

The waffle iron I would place 1910s (see patent date) to 1920s by the style of the markings.

finally cleaned, and seasoned the skillet I found in Ohio. Not too shabby. 24hr soak in oven cleaner, 40 minutes in vinegar bath and an initial season with crisco as per instructions on the site.

IMG_00000383-sml.jpg
inside before
IMG_00000387-sml.jpg
inside after
IMG_00000389-sml.jpg
back after

overall, i'm really happy with my $8 find, and the GREAT info on this site. :icon_thumbsup:

Back