14 inch Griddle ID

LBoone

I found this 14" bailed round Griddle on Ebay and checked the Blue and Red books but still have no definative conclusion on maker and time period. I has "SIDNEY" on the back along with the 14 size marking. My guess would be an early Wagner or Sidney Hollow Ware but nothing I find in the books or online batches the design, specifically the "bottle cap" style notches on the underbelly. Any inside would be appreciated. Just finished a third layer of seasoning after removing the rust.

(first attempt at a slide show so bear with me)

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/a...c-438d-a9fa-6a2c0b52e5c0_zpstntkgmez.jpg.html

Comment: The pictures show this as a good quality item, in my opinion. The Sidney logo looks like it's from the period when Wagner owned the company, 1897-1903. The style of the griddle, except for the smoke ring, is identical to my slant logo Griswold #14 hoecake griddle. (The name hoecake is from the red book, I think. I lost my copy somewhere along the way, so I may not be remembering correctly what I read.) At any event, it looks like a nice piece of CI. The style of the smoke ring is unique in my experience. Thanks for showing us this, LBoone.

Thanks for your insight Sharon, it is in remarkably good shape for its age for sure. It had a thin layer of rust from head to toe when I got it but there was no existing seasoning so I am guessing it spent most of its life in the dark and unused. I used it this weekend and I found it to distribute heat pretty well compared to other griddles I have.

Back