Paper Towels for Cleaning

StephenH

I seasoned my skillets 6-8 months ago, I use the pieces 2-3 times a week, and clean with paper towels and water when the piece is still warm(not hot). Even with pre-heating the piece and using oil, food still sticks to the skillets.

So, am I too aggressive cleaning with paper towels and taking off more seasoning then I've building up...one step forward, two steps back?

thanks,
Stephen

No idea why "food" is still sticking, but it's definitely not the paper towels removing seasoning. The reason I put food in quotes is because food encompasses lots of things. You didn't give us an idea of what food you're cooking or how you're cooking it. My guess is the reason for the food sticking is something in your cooking technique and especially since you've been using these pans 2-3 times a week for 6 months.

Well, eggs stick to the point I use a turner so the yokes don't break...I mean they don't slid around the skillet until I "help" them. I do steak on Saturday and it usually sticks pretty good.

Well, eggs stick to the point I use a turner so the yokes don't break...I mean they don't slid around the skillet until I "help" them. I do steak on Saturday and it usually sticks pretty good.

I gotta agree with Kevin, it's got something to do with your cooking technique, not to be critical, but just saying (?).

As for the eggs, I likewise use a spatula to turn my eggs (how else, I'm no "flipping" Emeril). Yes, mine slide around in the pan like they are on ice, but also yes, there's usually a small place, that I have to help, to get them going. No big deal ! Eggs can be tough. Try this > https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6t4pTL95OA < Don't worry about the variation in what's being cooked, I just do the basics (pan prep), and my eggs are great, with little effort.

As for the steaks, I'd venture to say, you don't have the skillet hot enough to get that initial sear. You got to sear the outside to get a good inside. I do steaks and pork chops the same way, just adjust the time, based on thickness. When it's time to turn, my steaks and chops are simply sliding around, never stuck. This may help, or not (?) http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cast-iron-cowboy-steak

Good Luck ! 😊 🍽 😊

I know there are some negative reviews about cooking sprays but I use a tiny bit and then add some olive oil on that and I have no problem with eggs.

I've cooked with cast iron all my life, but, did not realize I could make it non stick until joining this forum to learn how to properly clean and season the 3 pieces I have. After cleaning and using seasoning lessons learned here I now use my 10" skillet for bacon, potatoes, eggs-even scrambled, things I never would have attempted before.
My epiphany was a post by SpurgeonH. I was initially treating my newly cleaned and seasoned skillet like the seasoning was fragile, using a plastic spatula. In a post he said CI loves steel, if properly seasoned the use of steel cooking utensils is good. Since then, I scrape my skillet after cooking bacon or potato with a sharp metal spatula, I use a blue scotch pad with a little dawn detergent and just rub until smooth again. Rinse with hot water from the tap, immediately dry and wipe with a little crisco on a paper towel. His advice has not failed me. I love sunny side up eggs and use silicone egg rings. Butter or bacon fat for the oil and once the white sets I can slide the egg rings around the CI skillet like a hockey puck.

For what it's worth, I'm a "hot pan/cold oil" guy. In general, I gradually heat my pan and rarely, if ever, go any hotter than the medium setting on the burner controls. Once the base of the skillet handle is warm to the touch I add my oil/butter/cooking spray -- choose whichever -- and follow up with the items I want to cook.

One thing I also try to do with any newly seasoned pan is to bake some cornbread in the pan a couple of times before I use it to cook anything else - seems to to help "set" the seasoning. Again, the secret to cornbread not sticking is "hot pan/cold oil" - you want that batter to sizzle when it goes into the pan and then bake it in a preheated oven.

Again, the secret to cornbread not sticking is "hot pan/cold oil" - you want that batter to sizzle when it goes into the pan and then bake it in a preheated oven.

I'm having trouble making heads or tails out of that statement. I preheat my cornbread pan (skillet actually) in a 400 degree oven with the oil in it. When the skillet and the oil are up to temp, a little of the oil from the skillet is mixed into the batter (it sizzles), the batter goes in the skillet where it sizzles some more, and then back in the 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. I can't wrap my head around the cold oil part having anything to do with cornbread not sticking. What am I missing?

I'm having trouble making heads or tails out of that statement. I preheat my cornbread pan (skillet actually) in a 400 degree oven with the oil in it. When the skillet and the oil are up to temp, a little of the oil from the skillet is mixed into the batter (it sizzles), the batter goes in the skillet where it sizzles some more, and then back in the 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. I can't wrap my head around the cold oil part having anything to do with cornbread not sticking. What am I missing?

I do the exact same thing, with the exception of pouring oil into my batter. I do oil my skillet liberally, preheat in the oven, also to 400F, and my batter sizzles when I pour it into the skillet. Perfect every time and it never ever sticks, so I'm a little perplexed also, but whatever works :glutton:

I preheat my pans without the oil, then add the oil once they are up to temp. Food items are then immediately added. Only time I add oil early and wait for it to fully heat up is when I deep fry. Works well for me.

Back