too good to be true

TJohnson

I just bought these from ebay, supposed to be N.O.S. from an estate sale. still have the sales ad stuck to the pans. looking for your more educated opinion.
All bare the same stylized logo, im thinking 1959 or earlier.
any thoughts welcome

Attachments

• wagner logo 3.jpg
    wagner logo 3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 76
  • wagner 3.jpg
    wagner 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 103
  • wagner 1.jpg
    wagner 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 79
more pictures

Attachments

• wagner logo 5.jpg
    wagner logo 5.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 22
  • wagner logo 4.jpg
    wagner logo 4.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for posting these pictures. It's cool to be able to see what the original labels looked like.
I am a little confused about the labels saying preseasoned ready to go. I didn't realize these came preseasoned.

I am looking at the label on this chicken fryer and the Font on the pan matched the Font on the label. The Font on your labels are different than the pan.
I wonder if your labels are newer than the skillets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wagner-Ware...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
There's no correlation there. The CF and its label are both later than the NOS pans and those labels.

Thanks DougD. I am assuming then that Wagner did pre-season the pans before selling. Is that correct?
I know that sounds kind of dense because it says so on the label but the pans look like bare iron except they are glossy, how did they do that?

Last edited:
If not pre-seasoned, they would have had a lacquer or the like on them to prevent rust. I don't ever recall the old pre-seasoned pieces looking baked on black like Lodge Logic.

If I recall correctly, Lodge did not do pre-seasoning on anything in the mid-80's. I think they started that in the 90's when other companies got on board. My 2001 Lodge DO did not come pre-seasoned.

Hilditch

thank you Bonnie and Doug

here's a dumb question!
what the year do you think they were made?
I `m still trying to convince myself I was lucky enough to find them.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

what method of clean up do you suggest? only very light surface rust
I have a set up for electrolysis. or vinegar
open to all suggestions
thank you

Last edited:
TJohnson, are you going to use these? I would almost be afraid of losing the value of NOS by using them. They are nice cookers so it would sure be tempting to use them.

I have seen people who recreate old general stores. I bet they would enjoy a set that had the original labels. I am with you though, I would just use them. This is the first time I have ever seen a New Old Stock skillet. Thanks again for sharing your pictures.

As for cleaning them I would just scrub them with a brillow pad and call it a day. They aren't really dirty just maybe dusty.

You can find the dates for the different logos here.
http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Lodge did not do pre-seasoning on anything in the mid-80's. I think they started that in the 90's when other companies got on board. My 2001 Lodge DO did not come pre-seasoned.
Lodge Logic pre-seasoning was introduced in 2002. We were referring to the Wagner labels on the NOS pans pictured having the pre-seasoned designation.

The Wagner stylized logo smooth bottom skillets are dated 1935 -1959. The thin, serif font on the c/n places these later in that timespan.

I have seen people who recreate old general stores. I bet they would enjoy a set that had the original labels. I am with you though, I would just use them. This is the first time I have ever seen a New Old Stock skillet. Thanks again for sharing your pictures.

As for cleaning them I would just scrub them with a brillow pad and call it a day. They aren't really dirty just maybe dusty.

You can find the dates for the different logos here.
http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php

Hey Bonnie don't be envy and tell him cook on it,why you don't explain hem it is a collectable item,and is very rare find it with originals labels,

How much more value do you think there is in NOS Edgar? Like I said I have never seen them before. I can't help envy other peoples cool scores. :mrgreen:
When I was a kid I opened my toys played with them and threw out the boxes. I don't know about NOS.

bonnie I bought them to use.
Is there value in them? where would I find it.
Please don't! I am a true believer that CI was meant to be used... but original labels were not!!! If you must have some Wagners to use, trade those with somebody that wants to display them for some pans that you can use. Those are too rare to just let go of so easily. Think ahead 50 or 100 years... what those will be worth to those people! They will still be able to find used Wagners, but unused ones with labels from the 1950s? How would you like to find pans with labels still attached dating back to the 1850s?

You make a good point Dan.
Where can I go to get a true value on them?
Do I need to do anything to them to keep them from rusting more?

Please, please, please...!!! DO NOT REMOVE THOSE LABELS!! You wondered about [potential] value of these pieces--believe me, you can easily find good usable CI pans; but to find items with original labels is amazing!! Having been a dealer in the past, I can only tell you that items "NIB" (new in box) increases the value exponentially! I am sure labels on cast iron pans would be similar. Give someone a chance to display these pieces, and find nice already used items for your kitchen. There are MANY out there; items with original labels or boxes are rare! Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents worth (it's worth more than 2 cents in this case!) S.

thank you Sharon,
everyone has convinced me to put them on display.
I have a question would scotch tape on the back of the label in the small skillet matter? Because when I bought them it was unstuck.

Back