My Holy Grail! Griswold #14

Eldon B

Hi There!

Look what just followed me home; and I had a smile on my face all the way, and I still do!! I am like a kid at Christmas; I can't believe what I found! I still have to pinch myself to make sure that I am not dreaming.

I had the good fortune to buy this from the owner at a reasonable price. He received it from his mother and he still remembers as a kid watching her frying chicken in it. He only used it to blacken steaks. I told him that I was honoured to purchase it from him and that I would give it the TLC that it deserves.

I had not seen a picture of it before I bought it and I was very pleasantly surprised to find it in, I think, such great condition. I can't wait to see what it looks like all cleaned up and re-seasoned.

The pictures don't do it justice, as I rushed to take them before the sun went down and I wanted to be able to share them with this wonderful, helpful group.

I guess that I am a full fledged CI addict now!!

Attachments

• Griswold 14%22-33.jpg
    Griswold 14%22-33.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Griswold 14%22-44.jpg
    Griswold 14%22-44.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Griswold 14%22-55.jpg
    Griswold 14%22-55.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 108
Wow, Eldon, maybe something's in the water; the day after I read your thread, I rummaged through my regular haunt and saw nothing that I didn't already have (#5's are everywhere!). I was walking out the door and told the owner I wasn't spending, and she says,

"You didn't like the Griswold?"

"What Griswold?"

Sure enough, she had this #8 Griswold in an irregular place. Price on tag was $35. She offered it to me for $10 because she likes me. I gave her $15 because I like her!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/verevjg1kberet4/IMG_0544.jpg?dl=0

It's not my holy grail, which would be a #4 Griswold cross, native, but still I'm happy for you, Eldon! What will you be cooking in that mighty beast?

I'm very happy for you Eldon. A find like that no. 14 is such a great feeling! And yep, the bug has bit! Many more happy finds for you.

What will you be cooking in that mighty beast?

Hi Rob,
After I get it well seasoned I think I will do fried chicken in honour of it's past.
The beast is so big that it wouldn't fit in my lye tank, so I went out this morning and bought a larger plastic bin and put in a new lye solution and now it is bringing away.

It also won't fit in my electrolysis tank so I am going to have to rig up a new one just for it, which is a bit of a pain but I am not complaining!!

Nice score on the #8!!

PS: Your link for the #8 is not working for me, I just get a spinning wheel!!

Eldon that is some skillet! Not only would that make my day but make my year.
Just out of curiosity how big is that skillet from tip of handle to the end and end of pour spout to the other?

Just out of curiosity how big is that skillet from tip of handle to the end and end of pour spout to the other?

Hi Steven,
The #14 is in the lye bath right now, but when it gets out I will take some measurement for you.

Last edited:

Hi Steven,

It is out of the lye bath so I had an opportunity to measure it before going into a new larger electrolysis tank, wouldn't fit my old one; and it didn't fit the old lye bath either. I guess it was all for the good as I just bought a 16" griddle today so I am good to go on it!

From the tip of the handle to the tip of the helper handle it is 21 1/2 inches long, and from the end of the pour spout to the other one it is 16 3/8 inches across.

When it came out of the lye tank it had more surface rust, and a little bit of pitting, than it originally appeared to have; I am learning that the crud is usually hiding some form of rust that the eye doesn't initially see.

Thanks Eldon,
After looking at a tape measure for mental reference that is one heck of a big skillet. It does get me wondering if I would use something of that size very often or at all. But it is perfect for the collector at heart.

Back