Wood Burning Stoves

MDFraley

I've done a second trip to West Texas and found a place that has more wood burning stoves than one could imagine. These were in El Paso and that's where I left them. The ones outside are awaiting restoration but I imagine for the right price one could be had.
Enjoy...
http://imgur.com/a/1slXY

Wish I could find a place like that! Even if I didn't buy anything, it would be a great way to spend the day.

Not that far away from you Dave. It's just off I-10 coming into El Paso on the left. Not that easy to miss or to get to either. I didn't even bother going upstairs because I was afraid I might end up taking a second mortgage out on the house if I found something I just couldn't live without.

I guess I'll have to take a trip that way soon. Who knows what other places one might find on the way!

Great pictures Michael, I also saw a lot of cool old stoves this past weekend. This one doesn't have quite the "rustic charm" as the ones in your picture but it ain't too shabby.
http://imgur.com/a/DuByZ

I see now that I should have scrolled down to see the pretty ones. LOL

Wow!

4th pic down, stove on the left. 'Till I was about 6, we had a heater very similar to that one. That's all we used for heat. Mama did have an electric cook stove, though. Best I remember we burned mostly coal in it.

Great pictures Michael, I also saw a lot of cool old stoves this past weekend. This one doesn't have quite the "rustic charm" as the ones in your picture but it ain't too shabby.
http://imgur.com/a/DuByZ

I see now that I should have scrolled down to see the pretty ones. LOL

Did that Favorite have the removable top where as you can actually cook on it but still remains as a heater? I think those are both useful and pretty to the eye when you would walk into a well decorated den or parlor. Just out of curiosity did they have a price on that one? Most of the ones I looked at were from $2k to $6k.

Those are pretty cool, and a nice ornate parlor stove would look killer in a Victorian home. Once I settle in a house I know I'll be at for the next 30 years I'd like to find a nice 6 burner coal/wood stove. I've seen some really neat ones on line. Some restored and some not. And yes they are $2500 + up

... The ones outside are awaiting restoration but I imagine for the right price one could be had.

Those can turn into a big project depending on if it's missing parts or how far you want to take the resto. I restored a late 1800's Round Oak wood burning stove about 5 years ago or I should say I over restored it. Picked up a rusty one cheap at an auction and was planning on cleaning it up a bit and doing a quick flip. Was fortunate enough to be working at a small manufacturing shop at the time that allowed the employees to work on personal projects during breaks and lunch hour so I took full advantage of it.
Once I figured out how to buff the iron to make it look nickel plated I kind of went overboard and gave it a lot more shiny highlights to make it look way fancier than it ever did when new. I totally disassembled it (around 16 pieces), removed rust by blasting with a fine media to prevent pitting, buffed all the details to make them shine, painted everything black and when dry buffed the shiny parts again to remove the paint from those areas and then reassembled. Had to buy new bolts with nuts to attach the door frame to cylinder so I ground the heads round and flat to look like rivets.
https://m.imgur.com/a/ekY8V

Wow, that's a fabulous piece! I hope you kept it. :bow:

Thanks Donna. No room to display it in my house so it would've just been put in storage like most of my iron collection. Stuck to original plan and sold it and bought more iron.

Jeff, you did a fine job on that stove. I am curious..did the finial lift off and have the cooking plate underneath also? You can see a line on the Favorite I posted that is where the top part lifted off and had the burner plate underneath, if I remember correctly most of the ones I looked at did the same.

Thanks Bonnie. Yes the top lid with finial could be swiveled out of the way or lifted off completely to use the burner plate. The lid extended down to the bottom of the step with the patent dates on it. At the top right in the 6th pic. you can see where the lid hooked in to allow it to swivel.

Hi Michael. I was just in that store the other day and picked up some skillets. That store is awesome and has tons of stuff. It has more stoves than you can imagine. It's pretty awesome that we were hunting in the same place, small world.

That would be a fun little shop to look through. I have a Glenwood B9 on my wish list that I seen a picture of on line awhile back and hopeful I may stumble into one. It's not fancy with nickel plated all over but completely straight to the point all around functional style. One can dream right,,

I think they mentioned it was about 1890's coal/wood boarding house stove.

Back