Grandfather's camp cooker

SRFrancis

He was an engineer at the roundhouse for the railroad in our town. This was the only cooking pot he took on float trips. It lived in his garage. Hope I can load the photos. Lid has not been cleaned, pan has been hit with oven cleaner and steel wool then oiled. Not seasoned yet. Is this a common piece?
http://imgur.com/a/Z0gWr

Is that the broken leg in the last photo? I hope you can get it repaired--it seems like a family treasure.....

Most likely was a common piece. Assuming your age is average to most CIC members our grandparents were privileged to using those type spider skillets/camp ovens.
That last picture is a side view of the lid.

No broken legs Donna, my grandfather cut 6" pieces of cast iron pipe to extend them(not in the pic) because he would build a campfire and once it burned down to coals he put this piece on the campfire with lard to cook the evening meal after a day floating the river. Whatever we caught or shot that day was cleaned, rolled in flour and cornmeal then fried, potato slices, onions and hush puppies were usually added. Next morning it cooked drop biscuits.
Grandpa Greeson was born just before the turn of the century in southeast Missouri. The lid marking, 12 IN, has a backward N.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Yes, MDFraley, the pic is side view of the lid.

SR, that pan is AWESOME, as a family piece! Your memories associated with your grandfather, and his use of it, are surely cherished. How did your grandfather secure the pan in the canoe(?) when you were floating a river? We did a lot of canoeing when I was a kid.

I'm in the market for a similar BSR spider skillet. A couple years ago, I restored the one at my family homeplace, but not sure if I'm welcome to bring that one home.

Thanks again for sharing,
Steve

SR--your description of your grandpa's cooking set my mouth watering. And what great experiences for you when you were growing up!

Steve, he had a homemade box for cooking related items, flour, cornmeal, coffee, etc. etc. Never flipped a canoe to my knowledge.

Thank you Donna. I'll share some recipes as I get more familiar with this format. My career was in the food industry.

Back