Painted?

Brian R

I went out today to look for skillets for the first time. I came across a skillet that looked like the seller took some black spray paint over the crud, and maybe rust. Is this something you see out in the wild? Would electrolysis take off paint, like it does the other stuff?

yes. and yes.

people paint iron because they are too lazy to clean it or just want to use it for decoration... and yes, electrolysis will pop it right off.

Brian, I’ve purchased a couple of three-legged bean pots that were painted. I was disappointed both times. In both cases, the surface was heavily pitted. I think the painted them to hide the excessively pitted surface.

I will add to the last comment (I’ve been disappointed also) that sometimes a pan has pits that are still filled in with rust and scale. But when you remove all of the rust and scale it really exposes just how severe the pits really are. But if someone spray paints over the rust-scale filled pits the pan actually appears to have a fairly smooth surface. I don’t see spider skillets in great shape and when I finally found one that wasn’t pitted to death or had mill scale from fire damage, when I pulled it out of the lye bath it had a hairline crack!

Found it in a small run down shop in Montana.
Heavily covered in paint but it just had a good feeling to it.
I'm sure the odds are in the favor of hiding something when it comes to paint, but there's always that chance.

Back