Modern Lodge

BrentS

Has anyone used an e tank or lye bath to remove the truck bed liner seasoning on a modern lodge with success ? A friend of mine wants me to restore one of his... just want to make sure it can be done. Thx

I have removed it with both E-tank and lye. I wouldn't suggest doing it if you don't need to though. It is a pretty good seasoning to build on. The reason I removed mine is because it was covered in crud and rust. If the seasoning is okay with no rust or filth, you might just clean it real well and then apply a layer of whatever you use, if that is what he or she wants, and season it. If it is nasty then stripping it is not too difficult.
Hope that helps,
Kyle

Thanks for the reply.... Their pan has developed rust... I figured a smooth bottom pan would be better anyways. Did you put it in Lye first? Or the E Tank?

... I figured a smooth bottom pan would be better anyways.

If it's rusty I would strip it but removing the factory seasoning won't result in a smoother finish. The "truck bed liner" texture is from the roughness of the iron not the seasoning.

If it's rusty I would strip it but removing the factory seasoning won't result in a smoother finish. The "truck bed liner" texture is from the roughness of the iron not the seasoning.

And it's designed that way for cheap production and the excuse that it makes the "patented" factory seasoning adhere better.

Well i decided to pass on trying to remove the "truck bed liner". It's was just easier and better to gift them an extra #8 unmarked Wagner I had. Told them to wash and grease up that newer lodge and hang it on their wall. :D

Used a lye bath and the seasoning came right off. Then you are left with pebley unfinished surface of the newer Lodge.

I stripped a modern Lodge for a co-worker who'd let her skillet get rusty. An overnight (IIRC) in the e-tank and the seasoning came off in big sheets, and the rust was gone. Seasoned and had it back to her in 48 hours, and she thinks I'm a miracle worker.

YMMV.

Back