Antique Gate Mark Skillet

Ryan S.

My wife scooped this up for my birthday recently. I was wondering if anyone has info about this. I understand older unmarked pieces like this are next to impossible to identify. It seems pretty unique. There are no visible markings anywhere on the skillet. Heat ring and gate mark. The handle is what I find interesting. Im no expert but I feel, because of the simplicity of this pan that it's REALLY old. The skillet itself is 7"wide 11"long 1/2" deep. Any thoughts on origin would be helpful.

Also I'd like to get it back to usable condition. It looks more rusted and pitted than anything. Is it worth trying to give it a lye bath? Should I lightly take a wire wheel to it and get it back to bare iron. I also don't want to ruin it. If it's just worth putting on display I'm fine with that too.

Thanks for reading and any advice!!! Sorry the pictures are upside down. Don't know why they uploaded like that.

Attachments

• IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51
Hi Ryan,

I'm no expert in restoring cast iron cookware, but I'm fairly certain taking a wire wheel to your skillet is strongly not recommended. The "Cast Iron Restoration" section of this site provides great advice on how to deal with a skillet such as yours.

That's a neat griddle! Looks like it shouldn't be too much trouble to restore - an e-tank is your friend (and easy to set up), but lye would be a good starting point. It'll likely then need an e-tank or vinegar bath to kill the rust.

Don't use a wire brush under any circumstances - at best, that will GREATLY limit whatever collectibility the pan has (I can't comment on value).

Restore it and use it - they're great!

Steve

Back