Unknown Wood Handled 10 1/2" Griddle

Sean_H

Hello again,
As I had a lye bath going, I decided to make the thrift store rounds to see if I could find some cast iron pieces to fill in my tool kit. I found a wood handled, roughly 10 1/2" cast iron griddle. I almost passed it over because I saw the wood handle and thought, oh 70s-80s Chinese or Taiwanese. Luckily I picked it up and noticed the quality was far above what you normally see with Chinese or Taiwanese cast iron. The casting quality alone is on par with current Lodge, no casting defects that I can see. The wood handle is far more intricate then what you'd see on cheap Asian pans. The wood is well shaped, sanded, and finished, and is finished off with cast aluminum end caps, that again have no casting defects and are well finished. This leads me to believe it is possibly a European piece (didn't European cast iron often have wood handles?) or American. The only marking is a O or 0 on the bottom of the assist handle.

Attachments

• 1025181730d_Film1edit.jpg
    1025181730d_Film1edit.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1025181730b_Film1edit.jpg
    1025181730b_Film1edit.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 1025181729_Film1edit.jpg
    1025181729_Film1edit.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 62
Sean. Appears that CD is on the right track for the I.D. of the handle at least from what I can tell in the pictures. Not so sure that the actual pan is Le Creuset but I'm not an expert on European C.I. The few pieces I have are enameled and marked.
You'll find yourself buying things at times just because they are cheap but later on you'll be asking yourself why did I spend money on something that's not a collectable piece and or you will never use. It takes time and experience to just walk away from buying things that look cool and knowledge to discover real collectables that a seller doesn't know what they have.
Your pan looks usable regardless of where it was cast. Make some grilled cheese sandwiches and see how it cooks.

Back