Victor? Skillet with Gate Mark

Jeff S

I joined here because I wanted to see the picture of the gated Victor #8 skillet because I found one of these yesterday In Gastonia NC. I saw one on my search that sold on Ebay but can't find it this morning. It looked the same and as I recall was sold from NC. Here is a post from this forum that I think may explain this Victor skillet. I would assume it is from the Victor Stove Works in High Point NC.
https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741
I also picked up a Descoware pot w pan lid in citron "yellow" enamel.

I separated this post from the other old thread because it referred to yet another old thread, and neither may be specifically focussed on the pan you're asking about.

If talking about "Victor" skillets there can be multiple possibilities:

1. The Victor economy brand made by Griswold, which if genuine, would not have a gate mark.
2. The Victor odorless skillet, which would have a channel in the side to draw cooking vapors down into the wood stove to be drafted up the flue.
3. An unmarked early skillet with a ventilated, air-cooled handle which may or may not have anything to do with a Victor company. There is a completed eBay auction listing for a "possible Victor" griddle which has such a handle and a gate mark. "Possible" on eBay often means the seller has no idea, but errs on the side of attracting attention to the listing anyway.

As always, photos of what is being asked about can be invaluable towards getting a more rapid answer.

I wasn't looking for an answer per se I was just postulating as the old poster seemed to have the same question where did this skillet come from. I was just doing some research on the skillet I found. The one I found is exactly like the one that was in the old post. The thread I found linking Glascock and Victor I thought was a possible connection since High Point NC is just up the road not too far from Gastonia where I found the skillet. Once I have the skillet ready for use I will see if I can post a picture.

These are pictures of the skillet I was researching.
These are the measurements for this skillet
Spout to spout OD is 10 1/2"
OD is 9 13/16"
ID is 9 5/8"
Handle is 4 15/16"
Base OD of heat ring is 8 1/2"
Depth OW 1 7/8"
Depth IW 1 11/16"
Weight is 3lbs. 8.8oz.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Victor8.jpg
    Victor8.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Victor8gate.jpg
    Victor8gate.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 49
Yes, I suppose I could agree with that. The cast is rather primitive. Wondering if it would be a recast of an early no P/N piece or the area around the gate is just bad enough that it obscures the P/N. I have a few skillets that I've had for 20 or so years and use them daily and am not a collector just a user. Lately I've been wanting to pick up more items for use because I pretty much have all the same size skillets
(2) Griswold 704S and 704V
(1) Wagner Ware 1058C
(1) BS&R 10 1/4"
(1) Wagner Ware 2A (for eggs)

Recent pick ups were the Victor (got it because it had a gate mark and didn't know if it was old or not.)
and a #6 Lodge single notch. ( I believe)
looking for a good griddle pan and any other useful cook ware.

Stupid question and hopefully not a hijack, but is a recast generally thought to have been made to deceive somewhat recently, or was it an example of local foundries copying respected models that were hard to come by locally so their clients could have access to a decent pan for use?

Could be either. A lower chance of buyers being deceived in the last 30 years or so. And probably less likely a copying of a respected brand than simply using any pan available that could serve as a pattern.

Back