Majestic Mfg Co Waffle Iron

Griswold did make waffle irons for Andresen, perhaps others. A photo would be helpful.

I've read comments from over a decade ago by a collector with exponentially more experience than me that these were Griswold-made for Majestic. I tend to wonder, though, if there's a possibility Majestic made them themselves using a set of Griswold irons to make their pattern. Seems like they always have the 885M, but that could also mean Griswold altered just their M pattern to read Majestic.

I am new to collecting and yes Jeff is correct, I am questioning if his paddles(irons) are Griswold or whether Majestic made them themselves. If you look at the Andresen Irons and look in the Blue book of Griswold and Wagner in the index 981 is listed as Andresen or Western Import and is not used for any other product that I can find. If Majestic used an American 8 wouldn't the dimensions of the irons be bigger? My American 151 measures 7 5/8" and my Wapak measures 7 11/16". Jeff what does the Majestic measure?

A copy using an actual pan as a pattern would be smaller than the original. Solidifying molten iron shrinks 1/8" per foot when it cools. On a relatively small piece like a waffle iron the difference, around 1/16", might be so negligible as to go unnoticed by two people taking measurements separately. One would really need to have a Majestic 885M pan and a Griswold of the same to hold together face-to-face.

Melonee, the Majestic paddles measure exactly 7 5/8". In my opinion they are Griswold made because in all the pictures of them I could find they are paired with a 975 base marked Griswold on top of the handle and the fit and finish of all pieces is to good to be recasts from existing pieces.

Doug, as far as all Majestic paddles having an M following the 885/886 pattern number I have a theory on that also. Instead of altering existing M patterns to read Majestic I believe once they made or altered the patterns they then marked them M for Majestic. My reasoning behind this is because all the pics of Griswold made 885 Puritan waffle iron paddles that I could find are marked 885P. Basically once they made or altered an 885/886 pattern they then added the corresponding letter suffix that matched the name on the paddle. Again, this is just my theory based on the observations I have made.

Back