Vented Kettle

JMichael

I came across an older kettle with a gate mark. It has vents on the top and bottom of the kettle. Never have seen one before. There is a channel that runs along the top, to collect overflow I assume, and the vent is in the channel. There is also a hole at the bottom of the kettle. When I pour water down the top hole it doesn't come out the bottom, so I'm guessing it's for steam, don't really know. I appreciate any expertise on this one. I had a little trouble with pictures, hopefully, they'll come up. Thanks

Sorry, tried every way we could to upload pics but failed. I'll try describing the vent: 2 crescent shaped openings, one on the top located in a circular channel that runs around the circumference of the kettle and one directly below it on the base of the kettle.Again, it doesn't appear that its hollow all the way down because water won't run through it. I've seen smokeless skillets with holes that go all the way through but never a kettle. Thanks.

99% of the time, the reason photo attachments fail is the filesize is simply too large, and the forum software chokes. Resizing first to 800x600 typically (definitely) solves it. The 4+ megapixel images the average phone camera takes are overkill for ID purposes, anyway.

It does sound like an odorless kettle. The vent should go all the way through but is probably plugged with something...rust, carbon, dirt dauber nest. Seen pics recently of one just like you described but can't find it now.

there is one that was a sort of early 'odorless kettle / steamer'... the channel around the top would be filled with water, providing a seal and the weight of the lid would act as an 'airtight seal' so to speak... there is a patent for it.

something like this. https://patents.google.com/patent/US130921
or this is the one with the 'channel' around the top that the lid fits into: https://patents.google.com/patent/US368210

also, use a site like imgur to upload photos... then you can just post a link to the imgur site... its free and pretty easy and completely gets around the size posting issues of posting them inline on this site.... and taking up storage space.

Last edited:
Back