Rust or Rosey Burn?

JenniferM

I scrubbed the gunk off this old BSR (?) kettle, and tried the salt & potato scrub to remove what I thought was rust, but this still remains. Is this rust, or symbolic of that rosy-colored burn from being subjected to high heat/fire? If it's the latter, is it still usable once seasoned? Just want to make sure before I soak it in the oven cleaner.

Thank you!

20150301_091445.jpg

20150228_090526.jpg

Bump ... anyone? If the rusty/rose color I'm seeing is the burn 'stain', but this would not render the pan unusable/unhealthy to cook in, I'd appreciate if someone can tell me, as I don't want to waste time stripping & seasoning it if it's advisable to not cook in it as a result.

Thanks so much!:icon_thumbsup:

Unless the artificial lighting is skewing the appearance in the photos, it doesn't have that classic fire damaged color of the ones below. I would save the salt and potatoes for french fries, and invest in a gallon of cheap white vinegar and a Chore Boy Stainless Steel scrubber. Spray some directly on full strength, wait 10 minutes and then scrub a small area first, so you can see what difference if any it makes.

Image Image

Thank you Doug. In person, it kind of does have that color but the pictures don't show it all that well. I have it soaking in HDOC now (on day two) to get the rest of the crud off it, then will go at it with vinegar to see, as you suggested.

I found an article on here that said these pans may not accept seasoning once they have this burn, so I am kind of bummed, but it's a learning process. It wasn't really visible when I bought it so ... at least I didn't spend a lot for it. I am sure I can repurpose it somehow if it doesn't pan out. (Pun intended) :mrgreen:

I found an article on here that said these pans may not accept seasoning once they have this burn, so I am kind of bummed, but it's a learning process. It wasn't really visible when I bought it so ... at least I didn't spend a lot for it. I am sure I can repurpose it somehow if it doesn't pan out. (Pun intended) :mrgreen:

Before I started reading on this site, I didn't know anything about fire damage and what it does to CI. But as I've read about it and looked at pictures, I'm pretty sure my Wagner #6 was fire damaged when I bought it. But I stripped and seasoned it, and it's been a fine user for me since then. Maybe I was just lucky, who knows, but I would try seasoning it since you already own it and just see what happens.

Before I started reading on this site, I didn't know anything about fire damage and what it does to CI. But as I've read about it and looked at pictures, I'm pretty sure my Wagner #6 was fire damaged when I bought it. But I stripped and seasoned it, and it's been a fine user for me since then. Maybe I was just lucky, who knows, but I would try seasoning it since you already own it and just see what happens.

Thank you Doug. Glad to read you're successfully using one with the fire damage. I have put it through one layer of seasoning, and I can still see the rosey burn on it (it was definitely fire damage after trying vinegar). Since I was putting the Lodge in this morning, I put this pot in for another layer as well. Maybe a couple layers of seasoning will allow it to be used. I primarily wanted a pot this size for soups, and I don't see many of them (old pieces) come available, so I'm hoping it's salvageable, even if it's not so sexy. :chuckle:

An SCO should not damage iron in that way. It will affect the temper of bail and coil handles, though.

Back