Selden & Griswold

DaleR

Picked this up today. Anyone restored a mailbox before?

Attachments

• 1015161729.jpg
    1015161729.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 1015161758.jpg
    1015161758.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1015161805.jpg
    1015161805.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 52
Also is the date known for these being that they are Selden & Griswold (I believe Selden & Griswold was 1865-1883)...ie. Where they date in that range?

I might try that on a regular griswold mailbox...can't bring myself to do it with a Selden & Griswold...lol

Good grief, Spurgeon! Painting that mailbox rather than "seasoning" it is not a pleasant idea. Antiques deserve respect--I'm old enough to be aware of what a 150 year old human would look like.:razz:

I *believe* this is the only piece with this "Selden & Griswold" logo...I think the waffle irons, kettle and teapot just simply say Selden and Griswold in text or "S&G MFG"

I wonder if you could mix your own "paint". Looks like there are a few videos out there about doing it. For example: http://youtu.be/6jivIOSHYCU

But I wonder if this would be like an old gun where the bluing has worn off in large patches ... I've always been told the value of the gun is diminished if you "restore" the bluing. Might be the same with your mailbox?

I'd leave it as-is. I can't say what's the case for a CI mailbox, but there are other antiques where cleaning it up hurts its value. And it's not like you're going to cook with it or anything (or are you?!?!?)

I would Clean it up and put stove black on it but that's just my opinion. It's not paint and it would protect it and make it look good.

I’m with Russell. As it’s original purpose is no longer appropriate, it would be a good item to hang on a wall inside a home, if it looked clean and good. Who cares if it is worth $20 less at an estate sale if it can bring a smile now and then. Smiles are worth a buck apiece.

Hilditch

Maybe you could use some Dawn and a scrubby to get the rust off, and then just coat it with a thin layer of mineral oil to protect from future rust.

Back