Been Sitting on this old piece for a while, ID?

MEKlama

About a month ago My Dad told me there was a old piece of cast iron in his barn. I went back there and found it, originally I thought it was unmarked, but tonight I was looking at it and found a makers mark that Is unknown to me.

My parents never collected cast iron, but when my grandparents passed, a lot of the possessions they had got stored in this barn. My parents can not recall the origin of this piece.

I haven't tried to clean it yet, and I'm not sure whats going to be left once I try. Can anyone recognize this marking?

rhl6dc.jpg

5kkooy.jpg

10oipfm.jpg

I know the photo is not very clear, but I took several, and the one I posted is the best of the bunch. The photo is also much better than what I can see with the naked eye. You also can't see in the photo, but it gated dead center on the bottom

Last edited:
Can't be of any help on the marking but it looks like a round bottom kettle that would have been used for heating water or as a pail. Possibly from the UK? It may have more to tell after a serious e-bath.

Hilditch

You have what was called "Imperial" Kettle. The markings are VMFG CO.
Vollrath Manufacturing Co. Made in the USA

Circa 1900

"Imperial" is the finish, and was available in either blue or chocolate. Per the RB.

That should be porcelain inside and out. By the looks of your photo, the porcelain is missing. You would know better. Note lye and porcelain do not go together.

Thanks for the ID. Its interesting to hear it was once porcelain covered, I would have never thought that. On closer Inspection, there is some very small specs of what might be small white Porcelain remains (could also be paint). When I told my father the findings here, he said he now vaguely remembers a porcelain kettle like this kept outside on the patio by his parents when he was younger, but he's not sure if this would be the same one.

Thanks for the help, once I try cleaning it up, I'm wondering how much Is actually going to be left, as it's now a very corroded piece of iron.

Back