New pickups this week - Dry Fry griddle and spider skillet

EricC

I've coveted one of these BSR Dry Fry griddles since I first learned about them but haven't seen them too often, and when I do they usually have pitting. This one, though, is in great shape and I snapped it up. Pics are out-of-the-box with no cleaning or refinishing yet.

I'd like to say it's pre-DISA because of the worn lettering and what looks like a side gate mark on the lower left when on the range, but I'm just guessing, I don't know what the distinguishing characteristics between pre- and post-automation Dry Fry griddles are, if any exist.

Sits flat on the counter, sits perfectly on my range with zero wobble. I poured some water "dollops" on it and not one of them ran a single bit, so it's certainly level enough for pancakes...

Then the second pickup is a BSR Red Mountain spider skillet. I've had a late-version BSR camp oven for years, but this is another item I've coveted since I learned about them. This one is definitely pre-DISA Red Mountain, as shown by the bottom markings and the handle shape. It's in excellent condition.

However, the lid is mismatched - it's the right size and maker, but a later post-DISA model. The seller was aware of this and disclosed it, and I was able to get a much better than list price for it using that fact as the reasoning.

BTW if anybody cares, I measured the legs on the old Red Mountain spider skillet to be exactly 1/8" longer than the legs of my more modern BSR camp oven, which is also 12" diameter.

I don't need or want either, but would have bought them out from under you while you were thinking about price. That's why I don't go shopping for cast iron.

Hilditch

Back