Restoring the painted finish on cast aluminum

Paul V

Any ideas on this subject? i found a brown Club aluminum sauce pan but it appears to have hard water stains that were attempted to be removed, but may have dulled the painted finish. Any way to correct this? Thanks for any info!

I've had good success with "bar keepers friend" on old pyrex bowl, casseroles ext. It takes old burnt on food and utensil marks right off and I think it would work good on your pot. I would test it on a small spot first just to be safe though! Good luck!

Thanks John. I've been using Bar Keepers Friend for cookware on other pans and having good results. Unfortunately, it seems to dull this darker finish. Gonna try Bon Ami also to see how it works.

I've had good success with "bar keepers friend" on old pyrex bowl, casseroles ext. It takes old burnt on food and utensil marks right off
A more timely post there could not be. I picked up two very old but in otherwise great condition Pyrex "primary" mixing bowls today, both of which had a baked on brownish haze. For the price I got them, I took the chance I could clean them up. I tested Dawn Power Dissolver on a small spot with no effect. But a little BKF on a wet paper towel, and it came right off, virtually instantly.

Update: I was doing a little research on the old bowls I just acquired, and found that, according to a very comprehensive Pyrex site, http://www.pyrexlove.com, they are versions from the 1940s. Their take on using BKF is a little ambiguous, first saying to only use it on non-colored interior surfaces, but then demonstrating that, with prudence and care, it should be fine on colored surfaces that are not gold leaf. YMMV. Great site for Pyrex collectors, though.

BKF has been working really well for me. It's made with an ingredient found in rhubarb. The man who founded it discovered that his pots were particularly clean after cooking rhubarb. The story is on the BKF can.

Back