Struggling to Get That Teflon Surface

Hello everyone, I've been away for a while, but am checking in to report that I've been using my #5, large cross Griswold very regularly for months now, bacon only, no acidic food, and the cooking surface looks very good. I observe the cleaning and drying recommendations on the home page here.

That said, I can't say that the surface is as smooth as Teflon as I was hoping for. Oddly enough, a much older Erie and a large cross #6, which I almost never use, are smooth as glass after my original de-rusting etc.

I am tempted to scrub the #5 more vigorously, with what I don't know ( I use a blue scotch rite pad now, which is plastic and safe for glass). I guess there's no good reason to grind it down to bare metal and start over, but the thought crosses my mind....

I appreciate any suggestions to get that glassy surface.

Lots of use and a tender touch when cleaning them is how it develops. You may be taking the small amount of seasoning that develops with each use off during cleaning I don’t use scotch brite pads on mine they are too abrasive. I use paper towels with a little bit of water. If it is something stuck on the surface after frying bacon or smoked sausage, I’ll lightly scrape it with the spatula to loosen the leftovers. Then a little water and towel scrub lightly. Heat it up to dry it, oil, and put back on the wall.

Thanks.

Not all Scotch pads are alike. They come in about 7 different colors, and each is a different grit. The common green is, I agree, too harsh, but the blue is more like a plastic Tuffy. White seems to be the finest, but I never see it in the stores.

I rechecked and noticed that my Griswd slants and my VERY old, wwi Erie, are smoothest of all. Maybe my #5 is just rougher ... no, there are some glassy areas on the surface of the 5 ... I just wish it were more extensive.

Thanks.

Not all Scotch pads are alike. They come in about 7 different colors, and each is a different grit. The common green is, I agree, too harsh, but the blue is more like a plastic Tuffy. White seems to be the finest, but I never see it in the stores.

I rechecked and noticed that my Griswd slants and my VERY old, wwi Erie, are smoothest of all. Maybe my #5 is just rougher ... no, there are some glassy areas on the surface of the 5 ... I just wish it were more extensive.

It will, just give it time and use. I try to use what that had in the time period the skillets were made. No plastic in the 20’s

Rob, you'll do less damage to established seasoning if you just simmer a little water in the pan to soften and loosen stuck on food. Even room temp water for 15-20 minutes will pretty much do the same. Then you can use as mild a pad as a Scrub Daddy or Tuffy to remove it without affecting any already polymerized seasoning. As far as a glassy look, proper cleaning can still leave a dull appearance to even the best seasoning. If that's bothersome, that post-cook wipe-down with a few drops of oil will restore the shine (and is probably the reason most shiny black user pans look the way they do).

I actually use your 1/4" of boiling water for about a minute every time I cook bacon, softly rubbing the pan with a rubber spatula in ever direction. It comes out wicked clean, and gets shiny again with an immediate application of Crisco after drying on the stove for about 20 seconds It still just feels and looks faintly splotchy. Something non-uniform is on the surface, what I don't know. I don't think it's excess oil from an earlier curing session, but I can't rule it out.

I just want my fried eggs to slide effortlessly on the surface ....

I think Teflon is too much to expect. If all seasoning was laid down the same way we do initial manual seasonings the surface might remain uniform. But cooking seasoning isn't built quite the same. You might try developing a technique on a dedicated egg pan of (lightly) planing it smooth with a metal spatula each cleaning, and see if that achieves what you're looking for.

Well, I have some positive news on my trusty #5. I heated olive oil in it and then poured in two beaten eggs when it got pretty hot.

I warmed some mushrooms over on the side of the same pan as the eggs cooked. (If you put mushrooms or onions all over the pan surface to sauté before you pour in the eggs, the eggs will stick.)

After a minute, I ran a small metal spatula over the eggs to see if they would adhere and lift easily off of the surface. "Oh no," I cried, as there was some clear sticking. But I then slid the spatula under the eggs and ... up they came, leaving a clean pan surface!

I flipped the entire mixture over to the other side to cook that side for just a few seconds, then spread the now-heated mushrooms into the middle, folded over the eggs, and had myself a nice omelette. I plated some homemade ranchero sauce on the side (heated in the microwave), sprinkled a little paprika on top and set my very clean #5 off to the side to cool.

I guess the point of this account is that smoothness of a pan surface and a smooth appearance are not coterminous.

Then I ate it. I am very happy with the result. Okay Bon Appetit magazine is calling to schedule an interview, so I must dash, dah-lings.

I've also found a little water, chain link scrubber and, sometimes, heat will loosen most any stuck bits on a properly seasoned pan.
Most of my pans are still working with my original clean and initial season with crisco routine. Some are seeing regular use.
Finally getting gf to use cast but She's only been using a couple of her favorite pans to build a good season on those. They're darn near "Teflon" now after about 10 or so cooking sessions. Most foods, including eggs and potatoes, release without issue. I'm even able to properly flip eggs with the little chefs pan using just a little butter to grease. Clean up is with a paper towel. Bacon is still leaving a residue after a dry paper towel rub but water and time does wonders to get those stubborn bits to let go. If necessary, the stainless chainlink scrubber will remove any cling alongs.
The regular use pans don't see bacon anymore so I'm using cooking it to help further season some of the less used implements in my collection. So far, water and light scrub is all that's been required on those lightly seasoned pans as well.
BTW, I use a quick spray of PAM (original) after cleaning. Everything is black and shiny when rehung in the pantry, ready to be called into duty.

Most store bought bacon has sugar added and will almost always leave the carmelized left behinds under the grease. I let it cool and scrape it off with a metal spatula, then oil over it for next use. IMHO the stuck stuff helps fill in the pores and pits. Smoked sausage is about the same as the bacon as far as sticky leftovers.

I was pleasantly surprised that my newly stripped and seasoned Turks beam pan let the pineapple upside down muffins fall out effortlessly. Maybe the cup of butter had something to do with it. Lol. Still there was pineapple and brown sugar involved too. Cleanup was super easy. I just hosed it off with hot water and put it back in the oven to dry then oiled it lightly.

Back