when to stop etank?

thanks...I used the Lodge to make bacon this am...I'm thinking that I shouldn't put any more oil in the pan unless it is hot and has a chance to become seasoning?

I do have a question on seasoning and cooking....If the pan seasons just by cooking, doesn't it have to get hot enough to polymerize and carbonize? If it doesn't get to that temp then what is it really doing?

I realize that 500º in an oven is much different (effectively lower) than on a stove top, but I don't think that the pan is that hot because I generally cook bacon on medium low....and I don't like to have the grease reach its smoke point-although I don't know what that is for bacon grease...

It's a gradual process, but it will build up over time just by normal cooking. We talk about polymerizing and carbonization, but it's not something you have to overthink. It will happen. Just don't take one step forward and two back by cleaning with soap or over aggressively scrubbing. Instead just use running hot (not necessarily scalding) water and a plastic scrubber. Wipe out leftover food bits first, and if there's something stuck, loosen it by soaking briefly in hot water (in the pan, not submerged) or boiling a half inch of water for a minute.

I guess my point is that the "seasoning over time" concept, really only happens if the temp gets high enough to add additional layers of seasoning..if I don't get to the smoke point of whatever oil I'm cooking with-and that is almost always the goal during cooking-then how is the seasoning enhanced?

I know experientially and anecdotally that the seasoning gets better with use, I'm just seeing a bit of a disconnect with the science of seasoning and what happens during actually cooking...

I would say that getting to or exceeding the smoke point of the oil is not necessarily an absolute requirement. Seasoning also involves fine carbonized food residue in the oil as well as the oil itself.

I use a skillet to cook steaks on the grill, and on the stove. I preheat the skillet for about 8-10 minutes before throwing the meat in there. I don't always add vegetable oil to the pan, (sometimes a tablespoon), but when I do, it smokes when it hits the skillet. Wouldn't that mean it was past the smoke point? On the stove I never go above a medium setting.

Bacon grease will start to polymerize at about 300° F and start to carbonize at about 375°, it’s smoke point.

On my gas stove an average empty skillet will get to about 375° on the cooking surface in about 5 minutes if on low. Hotter if left longer. On med-low it will easily get to 500°. When you add food or grease it immediately takes the skillet surface temperature down until the food gets up to the surface temperature as the food absorbs heat, then they rise together.

Often by the time you are through cooking the surface temp. is up to 500° or above - smokin’. This is why it is good to turn the temp. down after the food is warmed up. Especially with bacon. Even if you never hit 500° some of the impurities will carbonize over time.

Keep in mind the changes in temperature as you work your way above the 2,000° flame. This is just an example and will be changed by every variable. The bottom of the skillet may be 800°, the cooking surface 500°, the grease 400° and the food 250°. The bottom of the seasoning may experience the smoke point and carbonization without evidence at the surface of the oil or grease.

I think if the oil does not get hot enough to polymerize, it’s just making the pan look purdy and softening the seasoning already there.

Hilditch

Maybe it really isn't adding any more "layers" but the seasoning that exists just gets a little tougher with more and repeated heat....

Back