Help Dating Old LODGE

Brian Agron

I have an old LODGE #5 skillet that I have had for about 50 years and inherited it from my mother and I am hoping someone can give me an approximate manufacture date. It has the raised letters 'PE' on the back and the number 5 stamped near the bottom. What puzzles me is that it has a heat ring with a single notch at the top AND the name LODGE across the top in a slight arc. I am under the assumption that Lodge discontinued using their name in an arc and then started using the single notch heat ring instead around 1930. How common is this variant? About when was it made? Any information about it will be well appreciated by my family.
I am not a collector of cast iron skillets (though that may soon change...) and this little beauty will will eventually be passed onto my granddaughter.

Although the RB doesn't show a marked Lodge skillet with that exact configuration of characteristics, it does include a marked single-notch. Lodge was a bit inconsistent with the placements of the TM and size number on the bottoms during what was most likely the mid to late 1920s. On earlier examples, one would expect the arc TM and the size number raised on the top of the handle.

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

According to The Book of Wagner and Griswold, there are three skillets that have elements of what you describe but none of them match perfectly. Their dates range from 1910-mid 1930's, but based on your description I'd be more inclined to estimate yours is likely from the early 1920's-mid 1930's. A picture of the entire bottom of the skillet would be helpful in narrowing that down. The precise position, size, and font they used for the brand varies between the three.

I am very grateful for the informed replys. This is a photo of the Lodge skillet in question. Does this help in narrowing the range of its manufacture? This skillet is not part of a collection but has been in use in my family for about 90+ years.

Attachments

• lodge.jpg
    lodge.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 72
Does this help in narrowing the range of its manufacture?
Not really. Lodge catalogs up to as late as the late 1990s only used artist's illustrations of pieces, and even after they began to use photo images, none showed the bottoms of pans.

Back