Griswold 502 Gas Hot Plate

Jeffrey R.

Calling all hot plate collectors and restorers. Before I start with this keeper, I would like to know what I am in for and the best way to go forward. Would like to have a working unit when completed. All tips welcome.

I can smell the bacon cooking on my 17" Long Griddle on this Hot Plate. I need to get started.

This is the before photos, I will put up completed photos at a later date.

2 Photos;
https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#5982126528241947698

Ok, so there are no hot plate collectors and restorers around that have done this. So I will offer my experiences on my restoration.
First I have a few questions.

Was the stove frame painted gloss or flat black?
What do I need to change from natural gas to propane? I do know that I need a regulator.

At this point I have taken every nut and bolt apart. No broken parts and all original bolts will be used in the restoration.
I will put up photos later.

Doug, I cannot find any info on the 502 hot plate. What can you offer here?

Thank you.

Blue book pg. 169 shows the 502 and says the finish was japanned, so a matte black finish would most closely match the original. The gas inlet setup in the photo does not match yours, but I would still say yours is original. Changing the gas type would probably require some dealing with the orifices and the tank regulator. Might want to enlist professional help on that.

Yes, I saw the one on pg. 169, should have said that. But between the gas inlet setup the burners and the legs, it sent me for a spin. The one in the book is circa 1920, what would mine be?

"Might want to enlist professional help on that":headpop:.

Years ago I purchased a commercial 6 burner w/griddle Wolf stove w/oven. I had to change from natural gas to propane. I did the stove and had the gas co do the fine tuning. That was a fine stove.

Yes, I saw the one on pg. 169, should have said that. But between the gas inlet setup the burners and the legs, it sent me for a spin. The one in the book is circa 1920, what would mine be?
I would guess the one in the book to be older, the burners and controls on yours more closely matching the later units seen on pgs. 170-171.

Looking on page 170 - 171 My grates come apart from the frame, so it would be fair to say 1920s - 1930. 1930 forward look to have a one piece cast grate with the frame. Have you heard of anyone cooking with one after a restoration?

If it can be put into serviceable condition, I wouldn't see any reason not to cook on it.

I do a lot of cooking outside with the grill and a smoker. But the burner on the grill just does not cut it. It can be 10 below and I have done the smoker and grilled outside

:glutton: for good cooking! You know about it. You have some fine restaurants there. Been there Done that.

Here is an update on my restoration at this point. I took every piece apart and soaked in the lye bath for a week. The old finish was japanned and took the longest to remove, but we are ready for paint. When I took the legs off the frame, the black was gloss black not flat. Not sure what I will use gloss, or semi-gloss.

1 photo;

From what I have seen on original paint hot plates the japan finish is between a low sheen (might that be considered a matt finish?) and a low gloss. Black japan can be of a very high gloss but Griswolds' hot plates are not that high gloss unless I am seeing decades of dulling from exposure. I'd say a little less gloss than semi-gloss. The screws seem to be unfinished and not plated. That's as far as I go with hot plates. I currently have a single burner No.201 in exc. unrestored condition which will have to find a new appreciative home.

Where the 4 legs bolt to the top frame they never saw day light or greasy hands, two things that will alter the finnish over time. The finnish was high gloss black.
Myself seeing many antiques (not Griswold stoves) from the early 1900s forward there was a lot of japanning being done on metal and from what I have seen was a gloss black. And yes there is decades of dulling from exposure on most japanned finishes.
Yes, the screws are unfinished and not plated, they were black.

When I do a restoration, I like to keep as close to the original as I can. I cannot do the japan finish, but I think It will be gloss black, unless someone can show me that japan was not black.

That brings me to my #8 American Waffle Iron, the base # 975, also looks like japan gloss black. Am I wrong ?

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Brain Food

Japan Black; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_black

= Gloss Black :icon_thumbsup:

Steve, you hit it right on the head, "I am seeing decades of dulling from exposure."

Steve can you send me a PM with photo of your 201, if my 502 comes out nice I might need a new project.

Hey Steve, Nice Photos. I have never known matt finish to go to gloss over time. Take a look at the bottom leg photo in your album. Thank you I needed to confirm my thoughts on the gloss black.

On your burner, is there a tab broken where the bolt over the burner would attach and not the sheet metal strap?

If anyone has information about this, I would like to finnish it at the same as the stove.
My #8 American Waffle Iron, the base # 975, also looks like japan gloss black. Am I wrong ?

John Lee, Thank you. Final results will be me cooking with it. I will keep updating the thread.

Gloss japan was used on waffle frames also. I have looked at my hot plate and cannot see anything broken, missing (obvious), etc. I have a post with photos on the G&CICA Facebook page with no luck so far finding if my stove was built that way or if something is missing. Obviously someone did put the plumber's tape on there, maybe to strengthen it which Griswold ultimately did if mine is missing a part.

I will keep an eye open to see if that bolt over the top of the burner was used to attach to the burner. There is a 201 hot plate on eBay, but I cannot tell if there is a bolt on the top of the burner as it has a brass name plate there just like the one in the BB pg. 171 top. It looks newer that yours.

Thank you for the information, I will put it to use. Gloss Black it will be.

I did write, that years ago I did a restoration on a wolf commercial stove, and lets say that it was not very clean. It was not that old and rusty, just very dirty and greasy. So after cleaning, stripping sanding and polishing all the SS, I used a very $$$ Gloss black epoxy paint that was a very hard finnish that held up to the stove heat. I am on the look-out for some today.

Steve, yours originally came with a cast iron ring support. I emailed you a photo showing the parts.

NM, yours has the screw hole in the top. I enlarged the photo I had and it attaches on the front of the main casting.

I don't think the plumber's tape is original.

I know that the plumber's tape cannot be original although someone might have added it to strengthen the burner mounting. But, then, why is the center hole on the top of front of main casting there? My 201 is different from the NOS one you sent me (thank you Doug) and also others that I have been able to look at. Still looking for the exact 201 stove as I have to see what's mounted to that single hole at the top of the front of stove.

Up-date on my Griswold #8 American Waffle Iron, and base # 975

It has been taking me some time to get back to this but making progress.

Both my Griswold hot plate and Waffle Iron were worked on at the same time, the hot plate still needs a little work.

Waffle Iron is completed, and ready for breakfast.

Completed striped, handles removed, paddles seasoned 3 times, base painted with gloss high heat paint.

3 photos to the right.
https://picasaweb.google.com/114772661409714296598/JeffreyR#6074548905278217426

Back