Erie 7 Griddle Please Confirm Recast....any Value?

I have a number 7 griddle that is marked Erie but it is gate marked so I'm assuming it is a recast and not original. Is that correct? Assuming it is a recast, I'm planning on selling it once I get it out of the lye and seasoned. How much would you ask for it if you were selling it in an antique mall? I will mark it as a recast and not as an Erie. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/0kKIPK1m.jpg

Show us some pics when it's cleaned up. I can't see it well enough to really comment. I think Griswold made one or two items with gate marks---tea kettles and something else, but I can't recall what.

Show us some pics when it's cleaned up. I can't see it well enough to really comment. I think Griswold made one or two items with gate marks---tea kettles and something else, but I can't recall what.

gem pans. there are some gem pans with griswold pattern numbers and gate marks that are assumed to be legitimate early griswold made items. not sure about griddles though... and there are a number of other 'brands' that were known to use griswold 'erie' pans as patterns for their own marked items (marion, tecumseh, wapak...) plus lots of erie ghost marked pans with no other markings.

it's interesting... would like to see better pics.

I have seen several gate marked "erie" recasts. They tend to be the more uncommon ones. From some of my fellow CI hunters I hear that these often appeared in the 70's and 80's before the internet made it possible to weed out fakes and brought price down.

I bought a crusty #7 Erie a year ago only to find out it was a recast. Ultimately I dumped it in for recycling, one less fake out there.

Back