• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Pie Crust

W. Hilditch

This is for RobM.

Rob, this is written for a chocolate pie. No pre-bake for a pumpkin or other hour long pie bake. There is JUST enough dough to cover a pie. If you go a few thousands thicker you may want to up the recipe.

This will not disappoint you.

Hilditch

I'll be trying this, not sure when i'll be baking pies but it should be in the next few weeks. i'll post back.

Boy, did I get an urge for an apple pastie tonight. Didn't need a whole apple pie. This worked in the chicken fryer.

Hilditch

Hilditch,
Ironically I had thought about doing a pie today, I had a few apples and a few pears I that need used. I may cobble something together:)

Talk about wanting pie! That looks fantastically delicious! :glutton: What a great idea. I'm not a fan of deep frying but that looks so good, I might have to make a few.

I too have some "need to be used apples". :tasty:

Thank you for sharing with us!

I’m adding this recipe here because it and this crust were developed together circa 1938 and I felt that I was about to get asked for it.

Hilditch

Please adhere to the instructions at top and only post typed in recipes. Linked photos have a way of disappearing.

Bad Hilditch. I guess we will consider these recipes on loan for the lucky. No additional recipes will be posted in photo form. If it seems like too much trouble to retype them, we’ll just stick with a pic in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Hilditch

Linked-to photos can just as easily disappear from there, too. If it's too much trouble to type it out, I expect we can live without it.

Disappearing pictures would be a problem for future searches. However, if you see these recipes, and want to save them ... simply save the picture to your phone/tablet, etc.

I keep all of my recipes in my Evernote account. If I get a handwritten one (such as the aebleskiver recipe Hilditch gave me, or my dad's cornbread recipe I found taped under the lid of his old cornmeal container) I take a picture of it with my phone and upload it to Evernote. If I see a recipe online, I use Evernote's web clipper to grab the recipe and save it. For the typed recipes in these forums, I highlight it and then copy/paste it into a note in Evernote.

This is a true act of love. My dad came home from out of state college & mentioned this great chocolate pie he had; so Nana made one for him. Not it. Many tries later she got it right. The recipe looks easy enough but there is a lot of work involved and one can’t rush it. Also, one needs to allow a lot of refrigerator time. Then, it is oh so good. A #5 BSR worked good.

Before the whipped cream.

After. (Needed more fridge time.)

Hilditch

Looks great, Hilditch. I do exactly as you do for my whipped cream (1 cup and 1T confectioners sugar) except I add a touch of vanilla extract (1/2 tsp to 1 tsp depending on use and mood). You may want to try this if you haven't already done so.

Back