Question About a Perch Pan Oddity.

Bill W

I've been wanting get myself an example of Lodge's 5PP2 Perch Pan. I've seen quite a few of them on ebay, but one in particular caught my attention so I had to have it. Every example that I have seen has two separate feet (for lack of a better term) on the bottom. The one that I purchased has a foot that spans almost the full length of the pan. It's the first such example that I have seen. Does anyone know if it's an early example or maybe because of structural problems with earlier pans, a late example?

I'm just curious, and thanks in advance for any help. I've included some example pictures that I borrowed from ebay:

Attachments

• Perch Pan_Lodge_2.jpg
    Perch Pan_Lodge_2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Perch Pan_Lodge_Short Base_2.jpg
    Perch Pan_Lodge_Short Base_2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60
Total guess on my part---the one you have is earlier. Cost cutting move (less CI) in the newer pan without the extra reinforcement on the bottom.

Total guess on my part---the one you have is earlier. Cost cutting move (less CI) in the newer pan without the extra reinforcement on the bottom.

Thanks for posting your thought, Kevin. I hadn't even considered "cost cutting" as being a reason for making the change. Makes sense. - Bill

that one looks like a newer lodge to me... given the markings. kind of like the cactus and chili pepper pans.

What is the model number inscribed on the ear opposite Lodge on yours? 5PP(?)

The latest revision of the pan was numbered 5PP3. I've seen a tag with that number, but not the bottom of the pan it was attached to. The pan was around a long time, and the markings changed slightly over time. Most seen online with older characteristics, like the raised heart shift identifier mark don't have the crossbar. Given the rougher casting and less distinctive markings, I'd say your pan is a later revision.

The latest revision of the pan was numbered 5PP3. I've seen a tag with that number, but not the bottom of the pan it was attached to. The pan was around a long time, and the markings changed slightly over time. Most seen online with older characteristics, like the raised heart shift identifier mark don't have the crossbar. Given the rougher casting and less distinctive markings, I'd say your pan is a later revision.

Doug, I appreciate your help.

Happy Hunting - Bill

Back