Small Griswold im looking at

Doug, thanks for the tip about the carbon buildup. The e-tank melted it off pretty quick. There are still a few dark spots, as you can see in the picture. Should I have left it in there longer? I was worried about damaging the pan. Most of the crud came off in the first two hours. It was probably been in the bucket a total of 8 hours. What's left is smooth to the touch. Just a stain?

Bonnie, I think you can see some of the pitting in this picture. It's not bad. Lots of scratches though. I've done one round of seasoning. I'll do a couple more.

Electro will not do anything to good iron, only rust. Some people leave it running for days. I choose not to leave mine totally unattended, and prefer multiple sessions if required. Sometimes I call it a day, and switch to SS Chore Boy for stubborn carbon on as-cast surfaces and a 1" putty knife with rounded off corners on polish ground surfaces. You can also use 400 grit wet dry sandpaper on polish ground surfaces without harm.

Here is the finished product. I put it back in the E-tank for two more days. Ran it through three seasoning cycles. Fried four strips of bacon in it this week (I had to cut them in thirds to get them to fit) and fried two eggs in it this morning. The eggs slid right out, just like they are supposed to.

A few of the letters on the back are not as well defined as others, (Does that mean I should have left it in the E-tank even longer?) but it's good enough for my cooking purposes.

There doesn't appear to be anything left in the lettering. Bear in mind that each and every piece was cast from a unique, one time-use sand mold created by a foundryman. There are occasionally going to be some inconsistencies.

Back