Favorite markings question ?

I think markings in the top two photos are supposed to be the same thing, but not a 3. More like the raised area in the sand mold that would have incised the left portion of the mark got knocked off when the pattern was removed.

And one more piece that needs to be posted. For those that feel this is a later piece and the diamond is sporting a G or variation thereof...

Findlay owned the Favorite Stove and Range trademark by 1898. Still trying to locate the details.

findlayfav.jpg

So I passed this picture around to people without the benefit of knowing what it was... They all see a diamond with a number 3 but I digress.

The only other one of these that appears to have turned up is a #8. Same inset heat ring, same diamond G. But no Piqua and no C&C. The bottom of the 8 at 6 o'clock is partially covered by the heat ring, suggesting the heat ring was added to an existing pattern or pan being use as a pattern.

I don't think that's a 3 in the diamond above, just a not so well-defined stylized G like the others.

The diamond 8 skillet is different but again, I reiterate - not a diamond G. You may well be correct on about it being a recast or whatever. Yes, there are a few more kicking around. This is the diamond logo on the number 8 zoomed in. It is not like any G known to be used by James Smart Manufacturing at any time in it's life span.

diamondC.png

However...

DiamondC.gif

Diamond C - trademarked in May 1918 by CANADA FOUNDRIES & FORGINGS, the company of which James Smart Manufacturing merged with in 1912.

Now why they would choose to resurrect an old pattern when they were already putting out top notch (large block logo) pieces is beyond me... And why they would use a diamond C trademarked by the parent company is anyone's guess. I've not yet seen any other pieces marked with that particular diamond C - but hopefully more will pop up. It's got me curious.

Rob, the close up you just posted above doesn't even look like a <C> to me, it looks like a <G> with the tail dropping in front and the cross bar very faint. I base it on that the top of the letter has a normal serif. Just my opinion . . .

They all see a diamond with a number 3
A 3? How do you make a 3 out of that???? Call 1-800-GLA-SSES :tongue:

When more cast becomes available, we'll find out what's in the diamond. I'm really hoping to get my hands on some personally to be honest.

It could well be a G on that 8, had to go back through my docs and found this... Either way, the 8 is post 1918 or 1922.

Attachments

• roundg.jpg
    roundg.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 5
Been waiting patiently, but one finally showed up. Knew they existed, just a matter of time... The Favorite Piqua Ware skillet that just doesn't make any sense.

Note the number 9. Note the hatch marks under the handle. Those hatch marks are never seen on the C&C skillets that appeared lately - they only appear on the Smart acquired skillets with the Diamond G on the handle. Just find it interesting, things that make a person go hrmmmm.

And the handles of the Smart "Diamond G" skillets acquired from Chown and Cunningham. Sometimes they are further apart, or closer together, these are just two examples.

Back