finding cast iron instead of fish

JMoss

I took a M-F fishing trip this past week. Between the bad weather, trailer problems and taking a buddy to the ER for a head wound (tripped on a dock line) I spent more time in antique and resale shops than I did fishing. I still had a really good time and bought several pieces of CI.

I ran into several pieces that I could not identify, some because there were unmarked and some because they were encrusted with baked on carbon. I did buy a rusty #8 single notch Lodge, a Wagner stick pan, #5 BSR Red Mountain, an 11" Wagner baster lid like the one on pg. 33 of the RB and 2 #3 skillets that I can't yet identify.

I have posted pictures at the link below. I included comments and questions on some of them. If you can help identify some of these I would appreciate it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11839214 ... banner=pwa

Thanks in advance and happy hunting to all.

Jack

Hmm... Best guesses: Unmarked Wagner on the broiler. The #3s with outside heat rings, unmarked Vollrath. The #14 camp oven, BSR. Not sure about the spider. The DO also looks BSR. Here's hoping that 1-notch Lodge is not pitted; It will clean up great if not. And a Martin long griddle, I don't think I've ever seen one IRL.

Thanks Doug. I bought the #3's hoping they might be Vollrath but I was unsure due to the size mark being on top of the handles. I do not have any other Vollrath pieces. They were in the lye bath overnight and look like they will clean up nicely. I bought the single notch for the same reason - I don't have any other single notch items. It was in the electrolysis tank over night and is coming along nicely, no pitting that I can see (so far).

I am hesitant to buy items I'm not familiar with. The price on the Martin griddle is $33 - is that in the ball park? This shop is at the end of the road, very close to the edge of the earth and I'm confident the griddle will still be there when I go back by. They had so much CI it was sensory overload. They also had a marked Lodge skillet that I intended to buy because I have no other marked Lodge pieces. I got so involved looking at all the other stuff I forgot to set it on the counter.

$45 in the old red book. To me, a marked price of $33 usually means they'll take an offer of $30 fairly readily, and maybe lower depending on how long it's been there, end of the month/year, etc.

Back