How Much Ptting is Too Much on a User?

BillP

Have a BSR 8 with an extremely well worn heat ring, and lots of pitting on the cooking surface. Will some/most of the pits fill in over time as it used?

Want to give to a friend to try out cast iron cooking.

Thanks,
BillP

That is nothing that time and use won’t heal. It will take a long time to get them filled in, but it will be worth it in the end. I’ve got a Griswold large block logo #8 that has pitting on the bottom of it. The pitting gets smaller with every use. I like to severely overcook a few scrambled eggs in my skillets to help speed along the seasoning process. Scrape them out with a metal spatula and then proceed with regular use.

Thanks for replies.

That youtube link was something else, what with guy using sunflower oil on a rusted, pitted, non-restored skillet.

Going to give to my friend, with offer to take it back if it doesn't work out.

You can use fine sand paper on rough surface,(not recommend on collectible items)it is a good user,I love square skillets and I found a BSR as bad as the one on the video,I used an air grinder after etank,I been using it for 4 months and now is working better than my others skillets,

The skillet in the video is a total mess, a virtual complete loss, nothing to lose by grinding on it. I've seen that video before, I'm not sure it illustrates much except that extra fat will make even a rough skillet not stick (not non-stick), and which it's maker (member here) states at one point. The skillet in the photo above is not a complete mess. Pitting is a loss of metal. There's no point in removing good metal from it just to level it out to a few pits.

Back