Skillet Doesn't Fit in Electrolysis Tank

BillP

Any harm in removing rust in 2 passes, that is, do half of the pan in one pass, turn the skillet over and de-rust the other half?

As an aside, I can see I bought the wrong containers for lye and e- tanks. Appears lye tanks can be wider and shallower so you can stack multiple pieces in at once, and e-tank should be deeper so you can hang item straight down.

My first piece, a Griswold LBL #6 fit nicely in e-tank; an BSR #9 doesn't fit.

I know it wouldn't be a big expense to get a different container, I am just cheap.

Plastic (Rubbermaid) garbage can (32 gal) works great. Plenty wide, and way more than deep enough ! Also, not expensive.......

As for your first question, I don't think that would be a problem. I believe I read somewhere, that there would be no "overlap" marks, so it's probably ok to do as you described. Personally, I would prefer to submerge and process the whole skillet at once, but I'm sure that others, that are more experienced in electrolysis, will chime in.

GOOD LUCK ! :icon_thumbsup:

Bill,

I cleaned a #14 in an e-tank that could only submerge slightly more than half of it. I didn't bother to try to clean off the electrolyte on the already treated part between dunks. I don't recall if it left any noticeable color differences between the halves because if it did it's gone now.

Nick - agree with your point about submerging item once, and probably going to spring for a larger container.

Ty - Thanks for sharing your experience.

Another thing you may want to consider with the bigger container is weight. As I mentioned, the 32 gallon Rubbermaid trash can, even filled only half way, becomes quite heavy, quick (8.33 lbs/gal x 15 gal = 124.95 lbs). My trash can has wheels, but it definitely wasn't designed for this kind of weight. Basically, I can maneuver it around, short distances, on smooth concrete, if needed, however I wouldn't want to move it any distance, nor across any rough terrain. If I refill this e-tank (trash can) again, I think I may consider a sturdier container and the possibility of sitting it on a dolly of some kind, making it easier to move around, should the need arise - just a thought ! :?:

Not really that big. I'm currently using a 12" x 20" sheet of stainless steel. I've got it hanging on one side, and I suspend my skillets, etc, across from it (but as close as possible, without touching).

There is nothing wrong with doing a piece in two passes BUT you will probably have a line left on the piece at the water line after the second pass. So if at all possible I would try to get a bigger container.

Back