Stargazer Cast Iron Skillet

I've been seeing a lot about them on Reddit. Really nice looking pans. I'd be interested to see if that big Y shaped handle really works for keeping it cool enough to hold onto.

I like the design. Being as I dont have a lot of extra money in my life I think carefully about purchased for things I dont actually need. My issue is with the $80 they charge for these I can easily get 2 or 3 old pans that perform as well if not better. I know its not cheap to start a cast iron company so I am caught between a rock and a hard spot.

There is some good selling on Reddit, but I’m not ready to pull the trigger. Too good to be true? I smell some exaggeration and steel like performance. The handle will get hot and the only thing I have ever found drip proof is an upside down bottle of ketchup. Is it a skillet or a sauté pan? Yup. Lastly, do we really need a helper handle on a #8 3/8 skillet or sauté pan?

Hilditch

PS: I wonder if this is being marketed to the millennials?
https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLpE1Pa8vvI?autoplay=1&autohide=1&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3&rel=0

Unlike the kickstarter.com campaign we talked about last year this company seems to be producing a pan that is available for purchase. It seems as though the other company is struggling to fulfill their original 126 orders and is not offering any more for sale, so thumbs up from me for a successful startup. :icon_thumbsup:

PS: I wonder if this is being marketed to the millennials?

Oh, most definitely. And your other points are fair too. But this is only their first product offering. I hope they do well because I'd like to see what else they will make.

I can't justify buying one of these, but I would like to play with one for a meal or two. And maybe if the company takes off they'll produce something I can't live without.

Edit: a word

Lastly, do we really need a helper handle on a #8 3/8 skillet or sauté pan?

Hilditch

I like them. Weight of skillet plus the dish being cooked can be heavy for those with medical issues/elderly/ or some kind of handicap. That big #10 Wagner I have is HEAVY empty and why it does not have a helper handle, I do not know.

I came across a new startup, Stargazer recently. They are made in USA. http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/

I think $80 is not bad at all given the high cost of starting/running a business, and the inflated dollar factor. To me, comparing cost of buying/using old iron to new iron is like comparing apples to oranges, just two different beasts. And, the passion to make available new cast iron cookware to future generations when we are gone is good thing to me. Just hope our children and grandchildren keep our CI collections and not recycle them. :cry: :lol:

Meh, I can buy old CI for $2 and clean it up. Maybe it takes a few bucks for lye and molasses, but its still far less money.

Back