Basic Cleaning Questions

KFSchmidt

I recently bought my first piece that seems like it could be old(unlabeled, gatemarked skillet) and have started cleaning. I use oven cleaner in a garbage bag for 1-3 days at a time with some heavy rinsing and washing with a sponge and soap. This has done a good job so far, but leaves stuff. I recently started scraping with a plastic lodge cleaner that won't scratch the metal. This is another improvement, but goes slow and takes a lot of work.

Is 0000 steel wool or fine (400 grit wet/dry) sand paper do any damage?

Steel wool or SS Chore Boy OK on any surface; 400 grit wet/dry OK only on already polish ground surfaces.

its cast iron you really cant hurt it unless your using a screwdriver. 0000 steel wool is for polishing, you can use 0,1,2,or 3 steel wool. you just have to be careful with polished pieces like chrome or nickel. I usually start with no 2 and a little water to give it a good scrubbing to knock down any scratches from utensils then a good scrub with 000 to try and polish it out a bit then into the oven it goes.

Bonnie, the SS brush will not scratch the surface? I've hesitated trying one. I use a brass brush identical to yours, but it leaves residue.

A brass brush will leave itself behind because brass is a soft metal and is used went you don't want to scratch a polished surface. Even though the steel brush is hard, it's the same strength as the cast iron so it won't hurt the iron and won't leave anything behind.

Bonnie, the SS brush will not scratch the surface? I've hesitated trying one. I use a brass brush identical to yours, but it leaves residue.

CJ, when I started using my stainless steel brush is when I realized I had never gotten my pans clean before. It not only removes the crud but it removes the rust as well. It doesn't scratch the pans and it makes short work of cleaning which I like. Brass brushes are a no-no. I have an assortment of stainless steel brushes in different sizes for cleaning waffle irons and gem pans.

CJ, when I started using my stainless steel brush is when I realized I had never gotten my pans clean before. It not only removes the crud but it removes the rust as well. It doesn't scratch the pans and it makes short work of cleaning which I like. Brass brushes are a no-no. I have an assortment of stainless steel brushes in different sizes for cleaning waffle irons and gem pans.

I'll second this. When I added stainless steel brush to my stripping/seasoning routine, it made a world of difference. Grab one and start using it...makes a big difference.

I can't speak highly enough of these heavy duty stainless steel scrubbers.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/thunder-group/slsc002/p1458681.aspx
The thin 3M version of these things that are sold everywhere are too soft for cast iron. Steel wool disintegrates too quickly. These heavy duty pads work well on rust and leave the perfect finish on cooking surfaces. With these you will only need a brush for nooks and crannies.
Find them on ebay.com here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Group-SLSC002-Stainless-Steel-Scrubber-12-Case-/381451439490?hash=item58d0470d82:g:8IgAAOSw9mFWMU7s

Some of those donut shape ones have foam sponge cores, and don't last at all. The ones that are all tightly curled steel are OK, but the best ones by Chore Boy have been changed from the tangle of steel ribbon they used to be. They, too, are now the tightly curled steel. I always look through the Chore Boy when I see them to try to find some of the oldies.

Benjamin, thanks for the info. on finding heavy duty scrubbers.
Bonnie, (dumb question here) where do you buy the various sized steel brushes--hardware stores, or...? Thanks in advance, and I am still trying to get the computer meister to figure out the pictures added to message thing!

Benjamin, thanks for the info. on finding heavy duty scrubbers.
Bonnie, (dumb question here) where do you buy the various sized steel brushes--hardware stores, or...? Thanks in advance, and I am still trying to get the computer meister to figure out the pictures added to message thing!

homedepot has these http://homedepot.com/p/Workforce-3-in-Angled-Stripping-Brush-SB2/100246044 I think these work the best. they have a pack of three that are smaller but they don't last very long. the smaller ones are good for hanging holes, waffle irons, and lid handles to get inside the tight areas

I can't speak for the brushes at Home Depot, but I've found this 6 piece brush set from Harbor Freight to be very handy and inexpensive. I use the SS ones mostly, with the brass ones to some degree and the nylon ones for other purposes around the house.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=detail+brush+set
those brushes are cheap for a reason. the spacing between bristles are twice the distance as a normal brush and they dont last as long. try the home depot brushes they will last longer and work better

Thanks for all the advice! I started using a brush and it makes things go much faster. I got one of the harbor freight packs mentioned, so I may have to upgrade to a little better one.

Back