Hello From Central PA with Questions

REBond

As stated I'm from Central Pa along the Susquehanna River. I was first introduced to cast iron in the 80's after some unpleasant memories of my Uncle's cooking pots and pans at hunting camp in the 70"s. I never did find it appealing that the hand me down pots and pans at camp had the teflon flaking off while he was cooking. So now my wife and I do not have any cooking pots/pans/utensils with artificial surfaces. Enough said about that let's get things started with some inquiries about some pieces I have in my collection.

I have been researching the Blue Book and the Red Book for 2 different pieces I have. I recently purchased at Griswold LBL No. 9 Tite-Top Dutch Oven Lid #2552 with patent date of Feb 10, 1920 that is in excellent condition. Was this lid designed for a 834 dutch oven pan or was it universal to any dutch oven or pan without pour spouts. I'm hoping to find the correct pan for this lid. It's all about the hunt!

My second piece is a Griswold LBL Double Skillet 90 with pan #1021 and lid #1022 also in excellent condition. My question is if this double skillet was designed as a hinged lid? My 1022 lid does not have the hinge flange and if it did someone did a fantastic job at removing any tell tale sign of the flange.

I am very pleased with the information available on the CIC site and would like to compliment the founders and those who maintain the site, Very Well Done! Thank you in advance to those who may shed some light on the 2 pieces I described above. BTW, my first forum posting ever! Take it easy on me.

Let the hunt for iron treasure continue.

I have been researching the Blue Book and the Red Book for 2 different pieces I have. I recently purchased at Griswold LBL No. 9 Tite-Top Dutch Oven Lid #2552 with patent date of Feb 10, 1920 that is in excellent condition. Was this lid designed for a 834 dutch oven pan or was it universal to any dutch oven or pan without pour spouts. I'm hoping to find the correct pan for this lid. It's all about the hunt!

Should be correct. The early flat DO covers were in the 8xx pattern number range like the pots, but there apparently wasn't a way to shoehorn later style lids into the sequence. There didn't appear to be a need to assign a new p/n to DO pots just because of a TM change.

My second piece is a Griswold LBL Double Skillet 90 with pan #1021 and lid #1022 also in excellent condition. My question is if this double skillet was designed as a hinged lid? My 1022 lid does not have the hinge flange and if it did someone did a fantastic job at removing any tell tale sign of the flange.

The No. 80 set was hinged (tab on top, insert slot on bottom); the No. 90 loop assist handle on bottom only.

Thanks Doug

I do feel the 834 DO may be to early for the 2552 cover, so I'm also thinking a 1279 DO would be more appropriate to the 2552 cover era.

That's very good news on the Double Skillet 90 not being a hinged combination.

thanks and happy hunting!

A lot more 2552s sitting on top of 834s than on 1279s on eBay. Most 1279s are seen with the 1289 button logo tops.

Back