Wagner Drip Drop Baster/roaster #5

D_Madden

got this on sunday and got both parts cleaned and seasoned this morning... it wasn't in bad shape but was covered with light surface rust from sitting in a shed for about 20 years. Is it a mismatch? I'm more familiar with griswold's roasters and dutch oven / basters... is it correct that the bottom is marked roaster and the lid is marked baster?

https://imgur.com/gallery/3V3Ktml

Best I can tell, the bottoms always say Oval Roaster. The turtle top lids either have Drip Drop Baster incised or Drip Drop Roaster in raised lettering. The later higher dome profile lids had Drip Drop Roaster in raised lettering before switching to incised concentric rings with the scallop toothed basting rings. Chances that yours were sold as a set would be better if they both had size numbers only or both had c/ns, but it's not impossible they were sold new together.

Best I can tell, the bottoms always say Oval Roaster. The turtle top lids either have Drip Drop Baster incised or Drip Drop Roaster in raised lettering. The later higher dome profile lids had Drip Drop Roaster in raised lettering before switching to incised concentric rings with the scallop toothed basting rings. Chances that yours were sold as a set would be better if they both had size numbers only or both had c/ns, but it's not impossible they were sold new together.

ah... good point about the difference in markings between the two (size on the lid and no catalog number and catalog number on the bottom but no size.)... that makes sense... I was kind of surprised to see that style of basting drippers on a turtle back style lid... I always assumed that that style of lid was earlier than that. but obviously the one patent date is 1922, so it was made after that...

Back