#5 Unknown Hammered Skillet

SteveL

This skillet has me stumped. Has anyone seen this handle before? The only markings on the skillet are the 5 on top of handle and the "4 dots" on bottom of handle.

I've seen this same skillet before, same 5 on the handle, but with 3 dots. Maker? Unknown.

Doug D. said:
I've seen this same skillet before, same 5 on the handle, but with 3 dots. Maker? Unknown.

And the search will continue. Thanks anyway, Doug. Greatly appreciated.

Steve

Some have tried to attribute these to Lodge, but nothing about them says Lodge to me. No heat ring, dimples too large for Lodge hammered, handle style, pour spouts, incised marking on top of handle not consistent. Is the cooking surface smooth, or uneven?

Doug D. said:
Some have tried to attribute these to Lodge, but nothing about them says Lodge to me. No heat ring, dimples too large for Lodge hammered, handle style, pour spouts, incised marking on top of handle not consistent. Is the cooking surface smooth, or uneven?

Pretty smooth but uneven where cooking surface meets side wall and poor quality casting. It's not rough like modern Lodge is. Below is a link to the slideshow which includes before, after lye bath and after seasoning pics. Turned out pretty nice. Keeping because it's unique.

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/Steve ... %20Skillet

Thanks,
Steve

Looks like a reasonably well-made pan in the photos. The style of the numeral suggests older than newer.

I found one identical to that two days ago, very well crusted over, can't see the #5 yet. It does have the row of dot's on the bottom of the handle, and the pronounced pour spouts and unique handle which I really like. For $8 I wasn't going to leave it. Very nice skillet, I really like the old mystery pieces.

Congrats on the find of this unique skillet Ty. Hope she cleans up nice for you. I still haven't been able to determine make or age yet but as Doug said, the style of the numeral suggests older rather than newer. If you find out any info on it please let me know....Thanks

Steve

Experience tells me it'll clean up awesome, better caked on carbon than rust any day. I used to use a controlled fire/coals for such jobs, never had a problem, but I quit that while I was ahead.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I just took a close look at those pics, if mine has the 5 just like that I'll be thrilled. I'm thinking it goes in the tank next, I have to know.

I have one of these in a #5 and also a #3.The foundry that produced these must have had a large distribution area as these seem to turn up everywhere.

Last edited:
I put mine in the electrolysis this morning, it's coming along great. It does have the same style 5 on it, so I think it's also older. I had a National #7 and the 7 was in that same style. I saw a similar #5 today for the ridiculous sum of $26, except it had a much plainer 5 and lacked the overall detail and crispness of the ones we have.

Hello. I have one like this also except only 1 dot under the handle and the # 8 on top. The 8 appears to have been wrote into the handle with a pick or nail?

I've seen a lot of these in Western NY and in PA. Lots of speculation where they came from. Looks very similar to some of the stuff that was produced by Wes(t)co in western New York. Probably was an unmarked line sold with paper labels (like much of the lodge and the IM Griswold), sold as store brands.

That said there has been plenty of debate about these pieces - you can find other posts on this in the Wagner and Griswold Society, as well as other places. My gut feeling is that these were store brand, and the dots may well specify which chain of stores actually ordered the iron.

I've seen a lot of these in Western NY and in PA. Lots of speculation where they came from. Looks very similar to some of the stuff that was produced by Wes(t)co in western New York. Probably was an unmarked line sold with paper labels (like much of the lodge and the IM Griswold), sold as store brands.

That said there has been plenty of debate about these pieces - you can find other posts on this in the Wagner and Griswold Society, as well as other places. My gut feeling is that these were store brand, and the dots may well specify which chain of stores actually ordered the iron.

That would make sense. Thanks for the info. Hadn't heard of Wes(t)co previously. Or they were paper labels like you said and the dots are either pattern or molder's marks.

Today I saw a hammered Dutch Oven very similar to these skillets. The lid was quite thick and heavy, and had pour spout covers although the pot didn't. Oddly the handle was turned an angle away from them, like if they were 3 and 9 o'clock the handle would be 4 and 10 o'clock. The handle resembled a crude Favorite, but they didn't point out at the ends. There was also a thick raised 8, similar to old Lodge or older mystery pieces, on top and off to one side. The pot had handles that protruded quite a ways away from the rim, with a poorly improvised bail of flimsy bailing wire. There were no identifying marks I could see, the lid fit poorly(almost as though it was a skillet lid, matched to the pot), and it needed a good cleaning. Price was $23, that was just too high.

Back