Favorite Smiley Handles

JeffreyL

So I have kinda started leaning towards gathering favorite smileys, I love the pans, light and smooth, and I like the logo. The other day I got a smiley 7 on eBay, great shape perfectly flat for $19. Just received it in the mail and was comparing it to my others but the handle is different, it has a reinforcing pad on the pan below the handle and where the rib terminated on the underside of the handle before it gets to the hanging hole there is a slight bulge that my others don’t have, has anyone seen this style before? I assume it would be a later more improved version? And also if I’m trying to put together a smiley set, even though the handles are different but both logos the same would you consider this part of the “set” or would it be like small logo Griswolds and there’s 3 sets within the same logo due to handle differences
New 7 pictures on the right next to my 8 on the left
https://imgur.com/a/Dm1LA

More likely an older pattern modified with the newer markings. The typical progression in pattern design blended distinct handle reinforcement pads and reinforced lips into the pan walls, as opposed to adding them.

Would you consider this "part of the set" or not? Likely sold at the same time as others with different handle designs?

there seems to have been a lot of variation in handles in Favorite piqua smileys... slight differences from one size to the next... especially in the rib and the attachment pad size and shape.

https://imgur.com/a/sb9j7

I've added a 5 smiley and the 12 smiley since I took these pics...

Thanks for the pics D_Madden, I will have to get all of mine out and compare, I have a 3,5,7,8,10, and a 8 1/2 chicken fryer. I have noticed in my searching, the most variation in size 7 for some reason, not only in handles, but in markings. I've seen what I perceive to be the oldest marking in the hollow 7 like yours, then I've seen them with just a standard almost handwritten appearance, and then mine where it seems really clean almost stamp like.

Back