National Taco Day

W. Hilditch

Yesterday was NTD so why not? I browned the 80/20 ground beef in the chicken fryer, drained excess grease, added the dry Taco Bell seasoning mix and water. Wow, this stuff is way more acidic than my chili. Got it all out fast and added water before eating. After clean up the seasoning looks quite dry telling me that it lost at least it’s top layer of polymerized oil.

I’m sharing this because acidity can come from unexpected places. A package mix or an over enthusiastic splash of wine or ????

Hilditch

Today an egg was cooked in butter and then the chicken fryer was heated to smoking. Wiped out, washed with hot water and rinsed. This pic was before it was dried and the black dots are left over water. The rest ran out as it should. The seasoning is back to normal. Good to go!

Hilditch

Hey Hilditch,

What ingredient in the taco mix is the one that was harmful to you seasoning?

Just curious so I can avoid.

Thanks

Adam

1. I didn't know yesterday was National Taco Day, although I did take a customer to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. (I went with the quesadilla)

2. Interesting idea about heating the pan to the smoke point after cooking with it.

BTW - my favorite skillet is a no-name #3 I fry eggs in. That skillet is so perfect the eggs slide around in there as if they are hovercrafts. Then I let the skillet cool to room temperature, wipe it out with a paper towel, and put it back in the shelf. If my wife is in the room, I will run water on it.

Adam, I don’t have a clue. Here is a list of ingredients from the package. I like the results so next time it is a SS saucepan after I brown the meat.

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Salt, Dried Garlic, Maltodextrin, Chili Peppers, Spice, Dried Onions, Monosodium Glutamate, Paprika, Sugar, Contains Less Than 2% of Silicon Dioxide As An Anticaking Agent, Soybean Oil, Malic Acid.

Hilditch

I didn't know that yesterday was NTD either. Good thing we had pork tacos for dinner.

I brown the meat in a #10, and if we do not make them from scratch, we use a generic taco mix. I have had no issues.

Adam, I don’t have a clue. Here is a list of ingredients from the package. I like the results so next time it is a SS saucepan after I brown the meat.

Ingredients: Wheat Flour, Salt, Dried Garlic, Maltodextrin, Chili Peppers, Spice, Dried Onions, Monosodium Glutamate, Paprika, Sugar, Contains Less Than 2% of Silicon Dioxide As An Anticaking Agent, Soybean Oil, Malic Acid.

Hilditch

That malic acid is the same stuff that gives apples their tartness. It's good for digestion but as I recently discovered apple crisp left in a skillet overnight actually caused good, hard, well established seasoning to flake off in my Griswold smooth bottom LBL No.7. I was expecting they dry chalky look that you described but had no idea it would completely detach the seasoning. Acidic foods strike again!

Back