Any Ideas?

BArnold

Years ago, my Mother gave me an old spider skillet that I have used to cook steaks in and would love to find out what brand or how old it is. It has "10 in" on the handle and has the letters OW on the bottom. It also has a gate mark. Would there be any way to find the origin? I will try to attach a couple of photos once I figure out how. Thanks

the 'OW' is probably just a molder's mark.. .and won't help in determining its origins. and there were a lot of foundries that made those hearth spiders or hearth ovens with the longer handles and the size in inches on top of the handle... so narrowing it down would be based on other characteristics.

for pics I use imgur... its free to sign up and you can easily upload pics and make an album and post links to the album.. .it's pretty easy to use.

gate marked was from 1899 back I believe, so it has cooked a lot of things in it's day. I have a couple of gated marked pieces and it is impossible to tell where they come from. just enjoy it and know it lives on through you. and just think of how many folks were the caretaker before you,,,,,,,,,,,,

Do you have the rimmed lid? The "D" shaped legs place this example in the older phase of gate marked spiders. 1880's to 1920's.

No, unfortunately I do not have the lid.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the information. I do think about it's history when I use it. I also have a small griddle with a gate mark I use that has no markings. Thanks again!

Back