Advice on Best Brand/age to Cook With?

Mike K

Hi,
I just started cooking with a vintage pan (very old wagner) and love the thin walls and smooth bottom.

I am looking to buy additional pans now for use, not collecting. I'm curious to know about everyone's thoughts on the best brands/eras of pans to cook with? From a functionality stand point, not mystique or anything like that.

Seems to me that the smooth bottom Wagner's from 30's-59 might be a decent price-point to quality value?

I welcome any advice or thoughts!

Any of the thin walled skillets should be good cookers. I have Vollrath, Wagner, Griswold and Wapak skillets. All of them cook great for me. Look for good prices on the pieces.

In general, I would stay away from southern cast iron. They are generally heavier and thicker walls i.e. Lodge, BS&R, Martin Stove, Hanks.

Wagner is usually easier to find in my area at a good price, Georgia.

I personally like Wapak. Each one is different, and its not as collectible as the other big brands. Thin walled, and light.

Mike, very personal question of what one person likes to the next person enjoys.
Every one has his or her preference of weight balanced and feel of handle. I’m a fan of a few for what I would do make dinner with for different things.

Some are very old big name and some not to collectable but still far older than me:) and cook like a dream. You will find what you like and feel free to use and add others that seem work the best for you.

It doesn’t need a fancy big logo or a top name in a book to cook dinner. Back then it was just a pan/skillet.

Enjoy your new old school cooking. You will know what fits yourself and style of what types of food seems to fit most areas.

To be honest I’m not a collector of cast iron but have
Many old ones to cook with and enjoy. Still on the hunt for a few more. And yes I do have a small preference and unfortunately sellers think they were made of gold.

I collect for cooking mostly and have cooked with most major manufactures wares so far. I think it depends on what you are trying to do really. Thin light pans heat more quickly and is easy on the wrist compared to thicker walled pans. Try early Griswold, Wagner, or Vollrath. These are great for a quick pan fry or sautee.

Thicker pans are great for their heat retention and even heating. I use these for searing, braising, baking, and frying. Try BSR, Lodge, and Martin.

I have some single notch Lodge pans that are smooth as glass and quite thin-walled also. I love Martin hamburger logo pans as an all-around user as it seems to me to have a nice mix of all positive characteristics. I also love my Red Mountain BSRs. All pans are different so evaluate each pan for its best use and then use it!
:laughup:

I don’t necessarily have a favorite brand. I like a combination of lightweight smooth bottom pans (Griswold, Favorite, Some Wagner, 1-notch Lodge) and heavy but smooth bottom pans (BSR, Lodge, Some Wagner) I like history so the older gate marked skillets are among my favorite users. What I don’t like is a spinner, (any pan that doesn’t sit flat)

Mike, very personal question of what one person likes to the next person enjoys.

Enjoy your new old school cooking. You will know what fits yourself and style of what types of food seems to fit most areas.

Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback. Question for follow up: do people always strip and re-season vintage pans when you get them to use? I just picked up a couple to try, one had a nice patina and seasoning and I am tempted to use as is without stripping... One one hand, kinda creeps me out without knowing its history. But on the other hand, sure seems good to go as is and a heavy cleaning without stripping and reseasoning is kind of appealing.

I have a ton of cast iron and my wife and I choose to cook in Griswold small block logo pans. The are quality and come cheaper than other Griswold. It is also pretty easy to put a set together.
I always strip and reseason. You never know what that pan has been doing the last 30 or so years. Usually they sit in old cabinets, garages or sheds meaning that most likely is has been a home to a rodent or exposed to weird stuff. Stripping to bear iron and seasoning again ensures minimal exposure to gross stuff.
Just my thoughts and happy cooking.
Kyle

I always wonder why sellers online drone on about how they stripped the pan and have seasoned it with several layers like it is a plus. I would rather see a naked piece of CI and be able to see a small pot, crack, flaw etc. Plus, I don’t want a seasoning that I did not put there.

Back