What do you cook in your griddles?

JudyKonopka

Just wanted to get a idea of what people are cooking in their griddles. Because oil splashes I was wondering what you all cook. I was thinking toasting bread sandwiches and items that don't require frying. Other ideas?

Pancakes! I butter the griddle and then wipe it dry with a paper towel before each pancake. It only needs the smallest amount of fat.

I use my large rectangular griddle mostly while camping. I do bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, French toast ... whatever's for breakfast that can be done on a griddle.

In the house, I use a #9 Lodge and/or a #9 Wagner (both round) for all of the above (in small quantities) plus grilled sandwiches. The grease is a bit tricky with bacon.

My wife makes flower tortillas, I cook stakes,marinated ribs,wrap fish on foil paper and put it on the gridle:glutton::glutton:

I use it mostly for tortillas from scratch, and to warm up store bought ones. For the kids, I sometimes make butter toasted bread and buns, grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, and pancakes. I have a big unmarked griddle that I rarely use. I mostly use my no. 8 from the late 1800s.

This is making me hungry and I suspect my neighbor is getting ready to put some Cinco De Mayo Fajita meat on the grill. :glutton:

I cook just about anything in mine except soups. My favorites are grilled sandwiches, steaks, pancakes, and shredded potato hash browns.

Kelly

I use mine to heat up tortillas for tacos... Yeah, not exciting, but it works, and I love tacos. :glutton:

Hi Judy:
I use mine for french toast and Pancakes like everybody- but what I am most proud of is using it for steak in the winter time. You can put an unbelievable sear on a steak with the flat top, and makes it a bit easier to work with then a skillet with sides!

Cook on!
-J

Hi Judy:
I use mine for french toast and Pancakes like everybody- but what I am most proud of is using it for steak in the winter time. You can put an unbelievable sear on a steak with the flat top, and makes it a bit easier to work with then a skillet with sides!

Cook on!
-J

Slightly off topic, but I like the skillet better for steaks because I baste while searing. I'll melt a good bit of butter and seasonings in the skillet, and then cook the steak in that. But I'll tilt the skillet a bit to collect that butter and spoon it back over the top of the steak.

I completely agree with the sear you can get on a steak with CI...best steaks I've ever personally cooked have involved CI.

I'm looking forward to trying a steak on a griddle. In the summer, I'd sear the steak at 600+F to get the same crust

I use my handle griddle a lot to blacken fish. I rub the fish with olive oil and cajun seasoning then drop them on the hot, dry griddle.

I also have one of those rectangular griddle on one side grill on the flip side. I use it all the time to put grill marks on my sous vide chicken breasts.

I do pizza on my griddles--no. 14 round (Hoecake) or no. 8 round, depending on how hungry my husband is! He does French toast (our version) on a rectangular one I can't ID, but is a great utensil.

I do pizza on my griddles--no. 14 round (Hoecake) or no. 8 round, depending on how hungry my husband is! He does French toast (our version) on a rectangular one I can't ID, but is a great utensil.

Do tell Sharon...
What is the secret to cooking a good pizza in a cast iron skillet? I have tried in my VERY vell seasoned #9 Griswold and I cant get it to cook right. do you oil or grease the skillet before pressing the dough in the pan? and what temp and how long are you cooking? Sorry for all the questions but want to be able to get this down!! :confused:

Do tell Sharon...
What is the secret to cooking a good pizza in a cast iron skillet? I have tried in my VERY vell seasoned #9 Griswold and I cant get it to cook right. do you oil or grease the skillet before pressing the dough in the pan? and what temp and how long are you cooking? Sorry for all the questions but want to be able to get this down!! :confused:

Are you preheating your iron? I throw it in the hot oven with a healthy amount of oil and let it preheat for about 5 minutes before laying in the dough. The dough should sizzle a bit as you press it into the pan.

A nice compromise between a griddle and a skillet is a shallow skillet or skillet griddle. An old, sulfur pitted Wagner #9 and a Griswold #10:

IMG_1663_zpszdecud9o.jpg

IMG_1661_zpsqebnhozj.jpg

Back